Chapter I

There was a party tonight. I was invited, of course, as I was still part of the pack - even though most people didn't want to admit it. Every full moon there would be a gathering of packs in the surrounding area, and it was the Red Wing's turn to host it. A huge bonfire would be held in the middle of the forest that was on our property and there would be lots of people coming for all sorts of reasons. The bonfires held did a variety of things such as cub initiation and the discussing of political treaties which almost always ended with an engagement or something of the sort.

I had attended the bonfire the last time our pack hosted. Other than that, I couldn't go to the parties. Physically, I was too weak to keep up with the rest of the pack - stamina wasn't my forte. I was excited, yet, at the same time, I was nervous. Would I be treated cruelly by those in the other packs as well? Or would my own pack ignore me for the sake of the pack's reputation? I hoped and prayed for the latter.

Someone knocked on my bedroom door and I opened it. Raven, the only sibling who respects privacy, stood on the other side, impatiently tapping her foot. She looked gorgeous in a light purple strapless dress that stopped at her mid thigh and a black belt hugging her waist. My sister looked over me and frowned. "You're going in that?" she asked, gesturing to my outfit.

I shrugged and looked myself over, gasping as she pushed me back into my bedroom and closed the door behind her.

"I won't have you making this pack look bad," she began to lecture me as she pulled out the clothes in my drawers. She threw three items at me and told me to get changed before promptly exiting the room.

~~~*~~~

I stood in front of the mirror looking at my outfit. Raven had picked out a pair of light grey skinny jeans, a black singlet and an oversized turquoise jumper. I have to say it looked good, and I made a mental note to thank her when we were in private. I slipped a pair of grey converse boots on and pushed my glasses up, before quickly making my way down the stairs and fluffing my hair up as I went.

"Well, Runt, you took your time," was the first comment I heard when I arrived at the bottom. This was followed by "Don't you look girly" and "Trying to impress someone, Princess?" I shrugged off the insults and headed to the door, opening it and exiting the house.

After everyone else had come out, the six of us began to walk to where the bonfire had been set up. I was roughly shoved a few times on the way there, but other than that, nothing too special happened. We arrived at the gathering place and waited for more wolves from other packs to show up.

Some of them arrived in human form, while others appeared in wolf form then shifted. By ten o'clock the party was in full swing. My brothers and their friends had found the alcohol and were too busy chugging beer and checking girls out to be bothered with me - a fact of which I was thankful for.

"Hey! Runt!" Cole called from across the fire pit. Perhaps I spoke too soon.

I sighed and made my way through the crowd of chattering people and stood in front of Cole, who was sitting on a log with Kite and a man who looked to be about their age that I didn't recognise, but his aura smelt powerful.

"Runt, meet Rowan, next alpha of the Silver Talon pack." Cole introduced us. "Rowan, meet Runt."

I bowed politely, avoiding eye contact with any of them, and nervously began to play with a stray white lock of hair in my bangs.

Cole patted the bit of log in between the two of them, signalling for me to sit down.

My eyes widened. How drunk was my brother?

Rowan smiled softly as I cautiously sat. "He's kind of skinny, isn't he?" he asked, poking at my ribcage and causing me to flinch.

Now that I got a better look at him, Rowan seemed quite attractive. His olive skin and black hair reflected the light of the fire, and his golden eyes contrasted against the forest's darkness behind him. The man wore a simple black t-shirt and slightly distressed jeans. Is now a good time to mention that I am gay? I haven't really told anyone, but it's not like the pack will let me reproduce or anything, so it should be fine. Taking in the sight of Rowan's lean yet toned and defined muscles, I began to grow slightly uncomfortable.