Chapter 24

Fadil

She fainted! My hands were trembling, thinking of all the serious damage that may have happened as I gently laid her down at the backseat of the car. "Mom you better sit at the back as well helping her" I enjoined breathlessly rushing to the driving seat.

I put the car in gear and sped through the narrow lanes from the residential area towards the nearest hospital.

"Fahd has gone too far Mom. I am not going to spare him now. He cannot do this to anyone." I seethed.

"What the hell did he plan do? Kill her? I won't let him Mom. I won't" I spat vehemently.

From the rear view mirror, I could see Mom was seated and Ramlah's head was on her lap. Mom was stroking Ramlah's hijab-clad head and look out the window. Mom had wrapped a flannel blanket over Ramlah. Blood had drained out of Ramlah's face. She looked deathly white. There was blood trickling down her forehead and a deep purplish bruise on her cheek. My hold on the steering wheel was tightening until the knuckles had turned white. Right now, I wanted to do some serious damage to my brother. Clenching my jaw, I put force on the accelerator, racing against the clock to reach on time for Ramlah.

Ya Allah, let her be ok.

****

I waited anxiously in the emergency waiting room for the last half an hour as Ramlah was being examined. Mom had just left to get coffee from the vending machine. I was pacing non-stop, my hands running through my hair. Why are the doctors taking so long? Before I could think more, I saw a young female doctor emerged out of the room where Ramlah was.

"Doctor howz Ramlah?" I spoke to her breathlessly.

"Oh you must be the Dad." Dad?? What does she mean dad? "She is stable right now. You have one fighting baby there. It's a good thing you got her in time."

I was clearly baffled now what was she going on about. "I am sorry I don't understand."

"Oh my bad, your partner is seven weeks pregnant. She lost some blood and had serious cramps. But your baby is a fighter and definitely is fighting to live, we were able to detect heartbeat through the scan. We can say the baby is out of danger. She is doing ok at the moment. We have given her painkillers and injections to stop the bleeding. She is still unconscious which she is fine as when she wakes up she will be in a lot of pain. But we will have to keep her under observation for the next 24 hours as she did have a concussion to her head and we want to monitor her general well-being."

I was stunned. She is pregnant! The baby....wait what did she say? my baby? "ummm....I am not the father"

She scrunched her eyebrows in perplexity, "oh ok, anyways your partner is recovering."

I exhaled, "I am not the partner as well. She is my sister in law. Thank you doctor." Now she was obviously bewildered. She scanned my face in confusion. Before I could embarrass myself further I walked away.

My first priority was to ensure Ramlah's comfort. I was not going to let her stay in a public ward with so many other patients. At the hospital reception office, I made the arrangements for a private room for her.

"Does the patient have health insurance?" the hospital admin asked while furiously typing all the details.

"I don't know," I had no clue at all.

"Then, this will cost you €500 for 24 hours"

"Yes, no problem" immediately I took out my credit card to pay.

"We will be taking your payment details at the moment but payment will be taken off your card once the patient discharges. There may be extra charges depending on any other treatment required."