The Departed

Valerie was sat in the car with Damon and Stefan, when she receive a call from Jeremy explaining Elena being in the hospital.

"You know one of us has to keep going you know, if Klaus really is the sire of our bloodline we need to keep his body hidden before Alaric finds him, kills him and we end up dead." Damon turned to him "our live is one big coin toss." Stefan nodded his head.

---

Valerie, Damon and Bonnie were now walking down a hall filled with storage units. "I'm not half way out of Virginia, and Elena sells our souls to the originals." Bonnie nodded "it was her call." Damon looked annoyed "do you know what else is her call? Everything bad ever."

Valerie shook her head "not everything." Damon scoffed "name one thing." Valerie thought. "Well, when it's not superna-" she was cut off "I meant just supernatural."

"Where's the body." Bonnie questioned. "Well I was going to use unit 666 but figured it would be a little obvious so... 1020." He listed somethings "one beef jerkifed original." Bonnie opened the coffin to reveal Klaus. He opened his eyes. "Hmm, creepy."

"I need a minute." Bonnie stated. "Just jam the locator spell, bad signal whatever and get on with it." Bonnie glared at the dessicated body "Elena, Jeremy and Valerie lost Jenna and Alaric because of him, Tyler is a hybrid, my mother's a vampire. Could you give me a minute to just appreciated him like this."

Damon raised his hands in surrender and walked out pulling Valerie with him.

Damon and Valerie were currently laying on random sofas that were in the storage units. He was on the phone to Stefan "Bonnie just left, rebekah should be here soon to pick up the body." Valerie blocked out his voice. She was listening to the lift waiting for Rebekah.

The lift door opened and Damon hung up. "Sexy becks is here" Damon was then pulled into a headlock by Alaric. Valerie legged it away, leaving Damon to defend for himself.

Alaric was pulling up random doors as Rebekah arrived. "Damon where are you?" she was searching for him. "This isn't funny." She was pulled into a storage unit by Damon. "Rebekah shhh."

Alaric opened 1020 but Rebekah and Damon were already pulling the coffin out. Alaric threw Rebekah onto the coffin and threw Damon to the side. He pulled out his Stake and stabbed him. Valerie had just run into where they were and saw the stake being stabbed into Klaus.

She yelled out "no!" And ran to the coffin only to be swang back my Alaric. His body went up in flames and Alaric pulled out the stake. "Next." Damon pulled Rebekah back. "Run."

"Bad news brother, Klaus has been staked." Damon sat down whilst he was on the phone to Stefan. "I feel fine, do you feel anything." Damon looked down "no." Stefan felt tears well up in his eyes. "It took sage about an hour before she felt sick."

"Yeah, or Klaus was lying about being the sire of our bloodline." Stefan sighed "well if he wasn't lying, by now there's not enough time to get you back to mystic falls."

"For us to have our epic goodbye, Stefan?" Stefan sighed "Not us, brother. You and Elena." Damon sighed as well "Well, I guess you'll just have to say goodbye for both of us, won't you? Call me if you cough up a lung." Damon hangs up.

Valerie felt tears well up in her eyes for the Salvatores. She turned to Damon and hugged him. Damon hugged her back knowing this could be the last time he saw his friend. Damon had another phone call "Let me guess. Calling to see if the Grim Reaper's paid a visit?"

"How are you feeling? Are there any symptoms?" Damon shook his head "Not yet. But I'm sure we'll have a laugh when we find out that Klaus is a big, fat liar." Elena laughed sadly "Yeah, I'm - I'm sure we will."
Damon spoke softly "Hey, where are you?"

"Matt's taking me home." Damon sighed "To Stefan." Elena shook her head "Not just to Stefan, Damon. To Tyler, to Caroline."

"Ah, I know, I get it. So, since I'm possibly a dead man, can I ask you a question?" Elena nodded "Yeah, of course." "If it was just down to him and me and you had to make a choice who got the goodbye, who would it be?" Elena starts to choke up.

"I love him, Damon. He came into my life at a time when I needed someone and I fell for him instantly. No matter what I feel for you, I - I never unfell for him." Damon sighed feeling like he could cry "Yeah, I get it. Stefan, it's always gonna be Stefan."

Elena sighed as her tears fell down her cheeks "I can't think about always. All I can think about is right now. And I care about you, Damon, which is why I have to let you go. I mean, maybe if you and I had met first." Damon nodded "Yeah, maybe."

Elena's voice gets stronger "You're gonna be fine. You hear me. You're gonna be okay and I'm gonna see you soon." Alaric is behind Damon. Damon looks up at him. "Real soon. Goodbye, Elena." Damon hangs up. "I see you're still pissed. I take it Goldilocks gave you the slip." Valerie laughed then looked serious. "Valerie hide."

Valerie took his advice and ran to the nearest storage unit. She locked it with her inside. She heard Damon's grunts of pain. She then heard less movement. She ran outside to find Damon holding up Alaric. "What's happening?" Damon's eyes widened "oh no." Valerie ran over. "What's going on?!"

Damon grabbed Alaric as his body fell "he's dying." Valerie's eyes widened. "D-Does that mean- omg." She fell down and sobbed into her arm. "No, no you can't be dead."

---

Damon and Valerie ran into the hospital, "where is she?!" Valerie yelled out. Meredith ran over to them. "You need to know, when Jeremy brought Elena in here earlier tonight, her injuries were worse than I let on. It wasn't a concussion, it was a cerebral hemorrhage, bleeding of the brain."

Damon looked at her "What are you saying?" Meredith looked apologetic "He was so worried, I didn't want to tell him, but I - I helped her. She needed my help." Valerie looked at her wide eyed "You what?"

In the morgue, Elena's body still lies on the stretcher. Suddenly, Elena comes back to life, gasping for air.