fifteen: always

fifteen: always

⠀⠀⠀⠀I walk up the driveway where Conner is leaning against his car arms folded and jaw clenched. When our eyes meet, his normally light blue eyes are a dark blue. I swallow and take a deep breath before entering the war zone.

"Hey, bro," I laugh nervously. I hope he doesn't eat me alive. "Did you have fun at your friend's house?" I try to lighten the mood, but he doesn't flinch. His arms still crossed and his jaw still clenched. If he doesn't unclench his mouth then he's going to break all his teeth.

"Don't hey, bro, me." He pushes himself off his car and takes a step towards me. The anger evident in his voice. "Why would you do that?"

"Do what?" I play dumb trying to stall the conversation that was pending. I bounce from one foot to another nervously.

"You know exactly what I'm talking about," he steps forward causing me to step back. The anger in his voice and face scaring me.

"Con-" I start.

"No," he cuts off. "I told you to stay away from him!" His voice rising as his face reddens.

"Well, excuse me," I hold out the u in excuse. Anger starting to boil inside of me. "You never told me why. Plus, it's my life." I shout angrily walking towards the house.

He grabs my arm stopping me and spinning me around to face him. He opens his mouth but quickly shuts it as if he doesn't know what to say. I glare at my brother who looks as if he's trying to calm himself down.

"Hear me out," he pleads no longer yelling at me. I purse my lips considering his plead.

Though I feel as if I have the right to be angry, but my anger has subsided. His eyes plead for me to let him explain. I am curious as to why he doesn't want me to affiliate with him.

"Fine," I breathe out before pulling my arm out from his grip. I turn back towards the door and enter into the house I've somewhat become familiar with.

I've only been in about five rooms in this house. Who knows how many more there are in here. I march up the marble stairs and head to my room. After shedding my shoes, I take a seat on my bed waiting for Conner.

He enters quietly taking a seat in my desk chair. He sits silently for what feels like forever but in reality is about one minute.

"He's bad news, Mar," he starts running a hand through his hair. I roll my bottom lip into my mouth listening. "He's just using you. Once he gets what he wants, he's going to forget about you leaving you heart broken."

I take a deep breath holding myself from yelling at him. Jackson wouldn't do that me. He cares about me. "What leads you to think that way? He cares about me," I state pulling my legs under me to sit cross-cross applesauce.

"I just know, okay?" He holds something back. Obviously there's something deeper about this. My eyes roam his face where pain is very evident.

"What aren't you telling me," I question wanting to know more. Wanting to know why.

He avoids my gaze as he looks around the room obviously trying to hold back tears. He stays silent not answering my question.

"Conner," I whisper scooting close to the edge of my bed. "Tell me."

As he looks me in the eyes, a tear slips down his face and dripping onto his shirt. I purse my lips letting him take his time to answer me.

"It was four years ago when I was a freshman. About fifteen years old," he dries his face before continuing. "Let me start from the beginning, though. Carli was my best friend for years. When dad and I first moved to California, she was the first person to greet me. She had her hair in pigtails and a goofy smile," he smiles at the memory.

"We did everything together. She'd always come to my soccer games to support me and I went to her dance recitals to support her. Two years later is when I met Jackson, I was ten. Carli automatically didn't like him since he was a rival in soccer, and when he became my rival, she really didn't like him. That went on for years until I was fifteen." He sighs preparing for what I'm expecting to be the worst part.

"Carli started to hang out with Jackson. I don't know what changed. She became secretive about it, as well. She knew I didn't like him which is why she didn't tell me," he twists in his chair with a grimace on his face. Clearly this Carli girl meant a lot to him. "When I found out, I told her what I told you, that he's bad news." He purses his lips.

"She yelled at me and completely shut me out. Then he used her; I'm not going to say how as that's personal. He left her heartbroken, and she was too ashamed to even look me in the eye after that," another tear slips down his face followed by another. "She couldn't even look me in the eye, Marley," more tears tumble down his cheeks. "He used my best friend, broke her heart, and ruined that friendship–my best friendship," he sits up in his chair.

"That's why, Marley. I don't want the same thing happening to you." I shake my head no standing up.

"He wouldn't do that to me," I deny. There's no way he'd do that to me. "Plus, I'm careful, Con. I won't let him use me," I assure him.

"I'm not going to force you to not see him. I can't do that." He stands up pulling me into a hug. "Just know that if he breaks your heart, I will kill him and I will always be here for you. Always. Got that?"

I nod my head yes as a tear slips down my cheek.

He releases me sending me a small smile before leaving me standing alone in my room.

I sit back down on my bed registering everything Conner told me.

There's no way Jackson would use me, right? Right.

I have my walls up, if he tries anything, I'm prepared.

Yeah, he won't use me.

That's the conclusion I came to.

author's note

Shortest chapter ever, I know. But it's loaded with info. :p

So, Conner's hatred for Jackson is deeper than just soccer.

I'm back! My conference was sooooo good! Y'all could go next year! Passion 2017 will be in the Georgia Dome. (:

Hope you liked this short mess.

With love,

.j