Chapter 12

A/N: updated as of 5/29/2020

James pushes me against the wall, using one hand to pin my hands above my head and his hips to keep me in place. He crushes his lips to mine, sending sparks shooting through my veins. I moan in pleasure, tangling my hands in his immeasurably soft hair; he responds by kissing me harder until I feel like I'm going to melt into the wall. My breathing hitches as he starts to unbutton my shirt, and his teasing fingers brush up and down my sides—

I wake up with a start and bolt upright in my bed. My heart feels like it's going a million miles an hour. I take deep breaths to calm myself down, the dream still fresh in my mind. "I'm such an idiot," I groan softly, burying my face in my hands. But a smile still creeps onto my face, because of how real the dream felt—and how much I wanted it to be real.

Thirty minutes later, I've showered, gotten dressed, and even eaten breakfast. I've washed the few dishes in the sink, tidied up my already-clean room, and cannot think of what to do next. Today is the last day of senior year, my last day of high school, and the apprehension is just about killing me. I throw myself on the living room couch with a sigh and pull out my phone, asking Declan and Rachel if they're awake in the group chat we have, which we named Lord Farquaad's Tuesday Night Special in honor of an inside joke from a couple years ago. Don't ask.

Ten minutes later, they still haven't responded (knowing them, they're probably asleep) and I don't have to be out the door for another twenty minutes. With a huff, I send a text to James.

To: James

Message: Are you up? Bored...

His response is almost instantaneous.

From: James

Message: Of course. I get up at five every morning to work out.

To: James

Message: I should've known. Assuming you have a six-pack?

From: James

Message: More like an eight-pack, actually.

An eight-pack? I try not to drool too much.

To: James

Message: I kinda meant that as a joke but you'll have to show me proof ;)

From: James

Message: Oh are you giving me orders now?

We go back and forth for another ten minutes before I realize that I should get out the door soon so I'm not late to school again. I send James a final text, grab my favorite tote (which I'm carrying instead of my backpack, because who needs to bring a ton on the last day of school?) and run out the door to pick up Declan and Rachel.

Fifteen minutes later, we pull into a spot in the upper parking lot and head towards the main building. There's a familiarly heady sense of anticipation almost tangible in the air--it's like everyone is holding their breath until the last bell of the school year rings. Freshmen and sophomores huddle in groups in the lobby, the juniors wander around either looking aloof or trying too hard to look cool in front of us seniors, and the seniors are mostly in pajamas or elaborate summery outfits to celebrate the end of an era.

We split up, Declan and Rachel heading to her psychology class and me heading to English. However, it turns out that our teacher didn't show up today and no substitute can be booked in time so it's essentially anarchy in room 2056. The class is rowdy and loud and disgusting so I sneak out, trotting down the stairs and out through a side door into the old courtyard. It was built with the original school, but it was one of the only pieces that survived when the rest of the school burned down in 1985. Now, it's slightly overgrown in places and the cobblestones are cracked, but it's peaceful, which is what I need right now.