Chapter 34 - ALPP119829837

Word was about to go out across the globe to the forty-eight members of the Great Council of the Occultus Populous. A full Council meeting was to be convened.

Up until the late twentieth century, communication had been slow and complicated. Now, the latest technology kept individual members in regular contact with each other. Connections could be established at any time of the day or night and sophisticated electronic voting mechanisms facilitated long-distance policymaking and collective decisions. And what did they mainly use this for? Answer, to inform members about initiatives which offered opportunities to make money. Making money had become the priority... money, money, money. Their greed knew no bounds. Fortunes were being made without the inconvenience of spending time with other members, in fact, they hadn't all been together for nearly two hundred and fifty years.

The last full meeting had been in 1789 when the French Revolution and other peasant unrest across Europe had spooked the ruling classes. At the same time the US Bill of Rights had been adopted. The common people were becoming too organised and the elite were beginning to lose control. The bloody uppity plebs had forgotten their places. A meeting was convened with a view to sorting out the peasant classes, and sort them out it did. Great plans which shaped the future of the world were agreed and put in place. Within ten years, the common man was back in his place and the rightful order had been restored. The rich and powerful had regained full control and again they all slipped back into the background. The power of the Occultus Populous was undeniable but of course only they knew that. Only they knew who was in charge and making the big decisions which shaped peoples' lives.

From the beginning, each member of the Council had control over his own geography. These people were the monarchs, the presidents, the business leaders, a few legendary criminal geniuses and the super-rich. These people were the ones who initiated great global events but they always pre-warned other members so everyone could take advantage. World Wars One and Two were perfect examples. Those two events alone had made eye-watering sums of money for many of the members. Okay, millions had been killed but that was the way it had to be... the common man had to make sacrifices so the rich and powerful could become richer and more powerful still.

Now, a coming together of circumstances in the United Kingdom had the potential to threaten their power once again, so it demanded their collective attention. This time, it wasn't a mass rising like the French Revolution. This time, it was much more threatening. This time there was magic afoot, and the magic was in the hands of commoners.

***

The encrypted and top secret email invitation arrived in the inbox of all forty-eight Council members virtually simultaneously. Each one read the message and immediately began rearranging their schedules and commitments so they could attend the Council meeting. Not one of them considered, not for even a second, missing the meeting. Everything else faded into the background. The meeting took precedence and the ripple effect resonated in the highest places around the world as crucial business dealings were put on hold, royal engagements were cancelled and major plans were delayed.

By way of preparation, the members demanded to see every piece of evidence collected so far and studied each item in minute detail; they all wanted to be ready for the meeting.

While worldwide arrangements were being made, the men who sent the email continued their investigation into the strange happenings around their city.

***

Sir Samuel Buckingham, the Chairman of the International Investment Bank of Europe, was talking to a fellow bank director in his office when his message announced its arrival by beeping on his PC.

"Excuse me, I must deal with this immediately," he said when he saw the subject line. "Please leave me alone, I'll get in touch when we can resume our discussion."

"No problem," said the man he was meeting, although it clearly was a problem. The look on his face betrayed the fact that he felt his position as a senior director of the bank was not being respected.

"Oh, and on your way out," said Buckingham, "please tell my secretary to hold all calls until further notice."

"Of course, sir," said the man as he left Sir Samuel to whatever it was that was so important.

Sir Samuel waited until the door closed before opening the small safe which was cleverly hidden in the wall behind him, he removed the de-encryption device and hooked the little dongle into his computer. He disconnected the PC from the bank network and leaned close to the screen before opening the email.

Subject: Pricing Reports Now Available ref ALPP119829837

This was the only part of the email which was unencrypted. The meaningless subject line wouldn't raise any suspicions amongst the hundreds of emails which passed across each recipient's desktop every day. However, they'd all recognise the secret number immediately and follow procedure, just as Buckingham was doing now.

Settling into his chair, he waited for the dongle to do its thing. After a few seconds, the body of the email was de-encrypted and ready to read.

______________________

Subject: Pricing Reports Now Available ref ALPP119829837

After solemn consideration, the European Executive of the Occultus Populous has deemed it necessary to convene a meeting of the full Grand Council. This decision has been ratified by the Great Grand Master.

Magic which is outside our control has been used on at least twelve different occasions. Our research has concluded that the time-travellers have arrived with the Scroll.

Council members will congregate at their designated locations at 07.45 GMT 17 inst..

______________________

The words were exactly as he, the Great Grand Master, had agreed them. Precise wording was vital to eliminate ambiguity and leave no room for misunderstanding.

The email was electronically signed by the four Under Masters of the European Executive.

Buckingham had prepared as best he could. His men had gathered all the evidence and he'd written and practised his opening speech. He was a man well-used to public speaking at prestigious global events, yet even he was nervous about the occasion. You didn't bring together the world's most influential people and then fluff your lines.

Two of his most experienced Occultus Populous agents were readying the secret teleconferencing facility; this facility would be the hub of the meeting. Nothing was going to interfere with their gathering, particularly not a problem with technology.

Any Council members who wanted to physically join him in London for the meeting would stay in private quarters on the top floor of the building, away from prying eyes, and they'd stay for as long as it took to agree a plan of action.

Buckingham reclined in his leather chair and pondered the gravity of the situation. Strange incidents of suspected magic were permeating his city. The evidence of the presence of the travellers had kept mounting until he'd had no alternative but to ratify the decision to convene a full Council meeting. It was clearly the only possible course of action.