1

n// hi guys!! This story is just something that I thought would be a lot of fun to write and something that I could keep up with easily so here ya go!! Hope you like it :)

*also hope doesn't exist this is an oc thank you!!

Klaus drained yet another body, letting it fall to the cold alleyway floor. He was having another rough day, and his rough days tended to be rougher than any normal person's rough days.

Another day of being the antagonist in someone else's story, another day of overwhelming paranoia that his own family were conspiring against him, another day of having to deal with all the drama of which he couldn't escape. AKA another normal day in the life of Niklaus Mikaelson.

Truth be told, he often grew weary of the life he led. He never wanted to be what he was, but now he didn't have a choice. He was completely and utterly immortal, and yet, he didn't have anything to live for. Of course he had the obvious answer, family, but then again it seemed like something was totally missing. Well, a number of things were missing from his life.

His littlest brother, Henrik, the love of his life, his parents, his trust, his ability to walk among the humans as an average person, the ability to die and find peace, the privilege of growing old with the people he loved and looking back on life ― his whole entire existence depended on something that was missing. He was doomed to a miserable existence for all of eternity.

But his raging thoughts were cut short by a soft cry sounding out across the alleyway. Klaus doubted if it weren't for his advanced hearing he wouldn't have even heard it. Standing still, he listened to the noise, trying to pinpoint where it was coming from. And as soon as he did, he flew himself over to the source. Which, if the situation weren't already odd enough, led him to a trash bin. Taking the lid off, he gasped at what he saw inside.

Someone had left their little newborn baby to die in a disgusting trashcan in the middle of a dark, cold alleyway in the middle of New Orleans. The child couldn't have been more than a day or two old, which made Klaus' blood boil. Whomever left the child here had no intention of coming back, not even bothering to drop the child off at the police station or fire department instead of a trash bin. They had wanted the child to die. And it made the Original sick to his stomach.

So deciding not to waste any more time, he gently picked the baby up, keeping it swaddled in the thin sheets he found it in.

"Shhh," he cooed upon hearing the child's cries. "It's alright. You're okay now, love, just calm down."

And soon enough, the cries stopped, leaving Klaus in silence with the baby. Taking a closer look, he noticed a tiny note tucked into the sheet. Opening it up, he read the rushed handwriting of who could only be assumed as the child's mother.

Her name was Darla. 12-17-15

Ignoring his anger toward whatever monster who could have ever premeditatedly left a baby in a bloody bin, he looked toward the baby in his arms.

"Hello, Darla," he said quietly again, suddenly making the biggest decision he ever made in his life. "My name is Niklaus, and I'm going to take care of you now."

And with that, he placed the note in his breast poket and sped home, keeping the baby girl hidden in his chest the whole time.