Chapter Three

When the door opens, a tall figure is standing there, in front of me. He is tall, with broad shoulders wearing a black suit with a white button down shirt and a red tie. He has short, black hair combed back and two big, blue eyes glowering down at me. His expression softens a little, probably when he sees how nervous I am.

"You must be-"

"Emily." I interrupt. "Emily Valdez."

He opens the door wider and motions for me to walk in. "Come in."

I walk in, slowly. Walking in, I can see the living room to my left. There is a long, black couch and a black loveseat with a big TV on the wall. To my right is the dining room, which is also black. In front of it is the kitchen. Everything in here is so expensive looking.

"I am Colton." The man says walking in front of me and offering me his hand. I take it, his grip is strong. "It is my pleasure to meet you."

I try to smile. "Nice to meet you too."

"Why don't you take a seat?" he asks mentioning to the living room.

"Okay." I murmur, taking a seat.

"Would you like a drink?" he asks walking to the small wine stall I hadn't seen next to the TV.

"Just water, please." I say, suddenly feeling my throat dry.

He half smiles as he nods. "Okay."

He makes his way to the kitchen then comes back with a cold, cup of water.

"Thank you." I say as he hands it to me.

"No problem." He says as he takes a seat on the other couch with a glass of wine.

There's a moment of silence as I bring the cup up to my lips and take a sip. I'm shaking a little so I set it down quickly before he can see how nervous I am. He can still be a serial killer for all I know. This could all be a trap.

He is looking at me, as if trying to read my mind. "Shall we start?"

"Aren't we going to wait for your wife?" I ask, nervously.

He half smiles. "I am not married, Ms. Valdez."

I frown. "But I thought you wanted a baby."

"I don't need a wife to have a baby, that's why you're here." He says taking a sip of the wine.

"You want me to have a baby for you?"

He chuckles. "Well, isn't that the whole point of being a surrogate?"

"Well yeah, I guess." I say, looking away.

"Unless you're not sure about being one? Because in that case then-"

"No." I interrupt, quickly, remembering my family. They need me. They need the money. "I'm sorry." I say looking into his blue eyes. "I just thought I would be dealing with a married couple."

He nods. "I understand but if this is going to work then you need to know that I don't like to talk about why I do the things I do." He leans in closer, until our faces are inches apart. "I don't like questions." He warns.

I forget to breathe for a second. I don't know if it's because he intimidated me or because of how handsome he is but I have to move away in order to be able to think straight again.

"Your profile says you are a college student," he begins reaching for a yellow folder.

He actually printed my profile? "Uh, y-yeah. I am on my last semester at NYU."