forty five

SOPHIE'S ENTIRE BODY became paralyzed

Her lungs couldn't constrict, and she couldn't breathe. Her heart stopped pumping; its stillness was a silent echo throughout her thoracic cavity. The edge of the archway behind her pressed hard against her spine. Her mouth became dry like a desert, and she couldn't blink.

Aubrey gently set Sophie's plush back down onto the bed. She stood, her movements hesitant. "Please don't freak out," she said. Her hands raised in a cautious gesture.

"What are you doing here?" Sophie demanded.

"I need to talk to you," she answered. "I promise, I'm not here to attack you. I didn't mean to do that. I got a little...crazy."

Sophie found herself scowling. "I'll say," she grumbled. Her hand automatically lifted to rub at the skin on her neck. The memory of her injury continued to haunt her.

Aubrey ducked her head. Her lips pressed together hard, and she folded her arms across her chest. It was so strange to see her look so human. To Sophie, she looked less like a model and more like a normal high school senior.

"I'm really sorry about that," Aubrey said. Her voice cracked. She blinked and swallowed hard, like she was about to start crying. "I know it wasn't your fault. Eli was always too valiant. I just..."

Sophie shifted around, uncomfortable. Aubrey wiped at her eyes and took a shuddery breath. "I'm sorry," she continued. "I was really not myself. I think it was the shock. I know I've threatened you before, but I swear, I would never actually hurt you."

"What did you even come here for?" Sophie asked. She kept her expression guarded. She just didn't trust Aubrey, at all.

Said girl took a seat on the edge of the bed. Her arms remained folded across her chest, and she seemed to fold in on herself. She was very skinny, almost boney. It was then that Sophie noticed just how sickly pale Aubrey's skin looked. Her rosy colored cheeks looked white as snow.

Aubrey rubbed at her eyes. "I know that Headmaster has already spoken to you, and I doubt he really explained anything truthfully. You can't trust him."

"I already know that," Sophie said. That much had been obvious.

The girl nodded. Her hands lowered to her lap, her fingers intertwining. "I know that you probably don't trust me either."

"No," Sophie answered honestly.

Aubrey nodded. "I understand. I just...." She trailed off. Her expression became vague and distant. Her lips pursed, and her gaze hardened. Then she continued, "I came here because I needed to talk to you about Eli. I feel...there is something off about the whole situation."

Sophie's eyebrows furrowed with confusion. Aubrey shook her head and lifted a palm to her forehead. "There is something not right. Eli was the best fighter in the entire school. There is no way he could have been beaten by some deranged mutt like that. Even if there were distractions. I mean, we are trained to handle different situations like that. He shouldn't have been that injured."

"Aubrey," Sophie started with a frown. A small shard of hope pierced her chest. Yet she shied away from the possibility of disappointment. She couldn't let herself believe what Aubrey was saying. Her memories flashed across her mind's eye. Eli had taken his last breath in her arms. There was no way that he could still be alive.

Yet...Mr. Wolfe had hinted at the idea of Eli being alive as well.

Aubrey held up a palm. "I'm not finished," she said softly. "I know you don't quite understand. You haven't been to any Night classes yet, and you haven't been exposed to the level of training that we receive. But it's fishy. I mean, we are trained to fight hunters like that. We are trained to be surrounded by humans, by potential victims, and still be able to take down several different hunters at once despite being overwhelmed by thirst. We aren't allowed access to most of the castle unless we have passed that. And Eli was at the top of the class."

"Even if he was completely drained of blood, and in pain with thirst, he could protect several humans from harm," she finished. Her fingers rubbed at her temples. "It doesn't add up, Sophie."

Sophie wasn't quite sure what to do. Her mind raced. The idea that Eli could be alive continued to plague her mind; it pulsed in the back of her mind like a neon sign. It was hard to ignore it. Yet she still felt that she couldn't trust in what Aubrey was saying.

"And the Headmaster didn't even let me see him," Aubrey added with a disdainful expression. "He refused to let me see the body. I don't even really have any physical proof."

That kind of took Sophie by surprise. "What do you mean? Wasn't there a funeral of some sort? Why wouldn't he let you see it?"

Aubrey shrugged. Her eyes started to water again, and she wiped at them absently. "I don't know. He wouldn't say."

Then a tense silence settled between them. Aubrey sniffled. Her hands fell back to her lap.

"Okay," Sophie said finally, careful to be cautious with her words. "So what do you want me to do about it?"

Aubrey lifted her gaze to meet Sophie's. Her eyes were hard, and determined. Still glassy with unshed tears. "I need your help," she said. Her voice was soft. "I need your help to find my brother. He is still alive, I know it."

Sophie pursed her lips.

"I know you don't believe me, and you don't trust me," Aubrey said. She stood and gestured with her hands as she continued. "You have no reason to after all that I've done to you. I've treated you like a bitch and I've attacked you. But don't do this for me, do this for my brother. I know that you can feel it too. You know that something is off about Headmaster."

Sophie didn't know how to respond.

A part of her couldn't deny it. The Headmaster was definitely hiding something, and there was a small bit of her that believed Eli was still alive. Even Mr. Wolfe had believed that as well. It just couldn't have been a coincidence.

But she didn't feel like she could trust Aubrey.

"I'll have to think about it," she murmured.

Aubrey swallowed hard, and nodded. "I understand," she said softly. A small silence passed over them. Aubrey glanced toward an alarm clock that was situated beside the bed. "It's almost time for our first class. Do you want to walk together?"

Sophie hesitated. "Sure," she answered.

Aubrey smiled at her, a genuine little smile. It shocked Sophie. The girl gestured for Sophie to follow her and started toward the door. "All of the Night class attend the same classes, since there really isn't that many of us. Our first class is a special form of karate. Are you ready for it?"

Sophie followed her out the door. "As ready as I'll ever be, I guess," she answered distantly.

She really didn't have much of a choice.