Ch. 9

The tension in the house was thick, and it filled every room I went into, mostly caused by Ray refusing to leave me alone and watching my every move. If I'm sitting on the couch, he sits across from me - studying me. If I get up, so does he. If I so much as twitch the wrong way he reached for my dagger. He even followed me into Zinnias room to change into the dresses she was -in her words - letting me borrow.

     "Ray, you are not watching me change, you don't deserve to look at my body right now. Maybe later when you're not acting like a boy," I told him.

     He didn't reply. That's another thing too, I'm getting the silent treatment. 

     "I'm going to be in here too Ray, it's fine. Prisoner is being watched," Zinnia said in exhaustion.

     Still he didn't move.

     "Fine, if you don't want to leave then you're going to see me change too, because I'm getting ready for bed. So if you don't want to see your sister naked then I suggest you close the door on your way out," she stood up from her bed and grabbed her other sleeping clothes. 

     Ray still didn't move, until he saw his sister start to unbutton the front of her dress. He let out a frustrated breath and slammed the door.

     "So I'm a prisoner now?" I asked once we were alone.

    "Yeah, get use to it. You'll get two meals a day and clothes that don't fit me anymore."

     We were quiet changing, she gave me privacy but not enough that I'd be out of her sight. She still kept an eye on me, and I knew why. Just because she believes my story, doesn't mean she trusts me. Which I can respect, because I don't fully trust them either - anyone really.

     Especially with Rays new anger towards me, if he finds out who I really am then he'll have no problem killing me on the spot. And no doubt his sister will help. I don't think I've ever been so grateful for not looking like a winter at this very moment.

     Once we were dressed in our linen night gowns she actually offered to braid my hair. I sat down on her bed while she stood behind me. My hair got a few really bad tangles from today, and brushing them out was irritating, Zinnia noticed my hands gripping onto her bed sheets.

     "Don't you dare burn my blanket. Just because its warm at night, doesn't mean I like to sleep without one."

     "Well you pulling on my scalp isn't very comfortable."

    "Well maybe you shouldn't have your hair down all the time, especially if you go outside."

     We bickered back and forth, but it helped me stay distracted. And I noticed after that she tried to be gentle in untangling my hair. When most of the tangles were brushed out enough for her to make a simple french braid she sat across from me on her bed. She grew quiet, unconsciously fidgeting with her nails like she wanted to ask me something, but didn't know how.

     "Can I see it?" she said after a while.

     "See what?"

     "The fire, I want to see it," she tried to cover up her excitement by acting like this was no big deal to her by rolling her eyes.

     "I thought you didn't want me to burn your bed? I could accidentally burn down your room," I asked weary. 

     "I'll dump a bucket of water on you if you do. Plus we'll call it even," she said, reminding me when I did that to her.

     "What about your brother?" I said quietly.

     "Ugh, just show me," she said irritated.