Chapter 49

When I wake up, I feel the sudden urge to see Sam. I know there's a camera in my room so I sneakily shove my phone in my pyjama bottoms and go to the bathroom.

I turn the shower on to cancel out the sound as I dial Sam.

Three rings and then he picks up.

"Hey babe."

"Hey."

"Is everything okay?"

"I need to see you, Sam. Is there cameras at your work?" I ask.

"There isn't but I don't trust some people. Anyone could be the eyes and ears for someone else and until I don't figure out who it is, it's best you don't come to the office."

Suddenly an idea pops in my head. "What if I do come."

"Don't Violet, I don't want to see you getting hurt again."

"I'm coming, bye!" I say as I hang up before he gets the chance to warn me.

I grab my keys off the kitchen bench and drive to Anderson's Corporation.

As I get into the office. I walk heavily, slamming my feet against the ground. The receptionist tries to stop me.

"Where are you going?"

"I have to see Sam."

"He's in a meeting, you can't go."

I push through, turning once to give her a dirty look for effect and then heading up the stairs.

I push through the door and everyone's head turns to face me.

Sam lifts his eyebrow in question. He's confused.

I walk up to him. "How dare you fire me! I've been hardworking since day one. Did you hear me, day freaking one." I quickly wink at him.

He picks up on the act and plays along. "I don't see it. This talent you talk about, I clearly don't see it and to work at a place like this, well you'll need a lot more then what you're bringing to the table."

Everyone stares at Sam. Some with mouths wide open, others whispering to each other.

"Excuse me, Mr Anderson but I've done my fair share of work, in fact I've done more than my share." I slam my hand on the table for effect but end up slamming it against the pen on the table which goes flying and hits Sam in the face.

I blink. That did not just happen. I mouth "I'm sorry," to Sam making sure no one else can see.

Sam picks up the pen from the floor. "I've never been more disgusted in my life. No ones ever even lifted a finger at me."

He looks at everyone else. "Leave immediately. I'll talk to her in private."

Everyone begins to leave immediately.

This man with short black hair and glasses stares at me, sending a chill through my body. Why is he looking at me like that? He gets up slowly and leaves, but not before he turns to face me as he walks past the door. I breathe in and then out. He's scary.

Once everyone leaves, I pull the door shut and run to Sam as I through my hand around him.

"You're a pretty darn good actress, Violet. Did anyone tell you that?"

I smile. "It's called talent. Apparently I've got none."

Sam smiles back. "I was joking."

"I know, I was too."

"Good," he says as he gives me body a squeeze.

I pull back. "Can't stay here long or else people will think it's dodgy."

"Maybe you can."

I look at him. "What do you mean?"

"Well you had an idea this morning and now I have one. Maybe there's a way you can still work here and we can still see each other."

This time I do Sam's impersonation and lift my eyebrow. "I'm listening."

Sam explains the idea, going through each step three times to make sure I don't stuff it up.

"Got it."

"Yep," I say.

I turn and storm out off the meeting room. Sam waits a few seconds then storms after me.

I purposely hit my feet hard against the ground as I walk so everyone knows I'm angry.

"Don't you dare walk away from me Violet when I'm talking to you!" Sam shouts.

I continue to walk off until Sam jogs to me and grabs my hand. "Violet, don't mess with me."

The sound of keyboards being used stops as everyone turns to watch the drama unfold.

"I have nothing more to say."

"Why? Is it because you finally accept the fact that you are a fail."

I open my mouth in pretend shock. "You're a fail, Mr Anderson. Your company is a fail but I am not a fail."

"Prove it then."

"I don't need to prove it to you." From the corner of my eye, I notice that guy from before with the glasses. He's watching me carefully.

"That's what a failure says."

"Fine," I say. "What do you suggest I do?"

"I'll have a contract made. You failed the last one, now let's see you fail this one."

I cough. "I may have failed that but I can guarantee I won't fail this one. There'll be no stopping me."

Sam signals at someone to come forward. "Meet me in my office now."

He turns to face me. "You can wait it your office, Violet while I get the contract made."

I turn around and storm off to the lift.

The noise of buttons being pressed on laptops and the sound of the keyboard suggests everyone is back to work.