Chapter Sixteen: Every Bit

I woke up yo Daryl's voice. I kept my eyes closed to hear the conversation.

"As good as I look." He told someone.

"She was really worried about you. Came up to me crying. She though you hated her for calling you Daddy." The female voice told him. It was Carol. 

"I'm gonna protect her." He said. I felt his fingers go through my hair.

"I brought you two some dinner. You must be starving." Carol said. I heard the plates place on the side table. I then felt Daryl move away closer to me.

"Watch out, I got stitches." He warned her. I heard her sigh and step away.

"You need to know something. You did more for my little girl today than her own daddy ever did in his whole life." She said. Daryl snorted.

"I didn't do anything Rick or Shane wouldn't have done." I wanted to hit him for saying that.

"I know. You're every bit as good as them. Every bit." I heard the door close.

"I know you ain't asleep Pinkie." Daryl said. I open my eyes and sit up. "Carol brought ya some food." He handed me my plate before digging in. He was really hungry. He inhaled his plate. I wasn't very hungry. I place the plate next to me, and put my hands up in my lap. I automatically start tugging on my fingers. I hear Daryl stop eating. "Mason, ya okay?" I sighed.

"Why did you get hurt? Was it because of me?" He sighs and shakes his head.

"Nah, I fell and started seeing shit."

"Swear." I saw him grin. "What did you see?" He got quiet again before awnsering.

"Merle and Alex." He whispered. I looked at him, he wouldn't look at me. I crawled over and gave him a hug.

"We will find them. I promise." I tell him.

"Pinky Promise?" He chuckles. I hold out my pinkie.

"Pinky promise." I smile.

"Ya know, I head you chewed out Andrea for shootin me." He says with a smirk. I blush with embarrassment.

"Yeah..."

"That's my gurl."

==========================

In the Morning, me and Daryl went back to our tent. He couldn't stand being there and doing nothing. Hershel gave me the job of making sure he takes it easy. It was easier said then done. Daryl was laying on his cot putting holes in the tent with his arrow. He was really bored. I was drawing a horse to give to Hershel as a sorry Daryl stole your horse then lost it, even though it almost killed him. I look back up and the holes got bigger.

"Stop it, we aren't gonna have a tent soon if you keep doing that." He just ignores me. Then someone unzips our tent. It's Andrea. I go back to my drawing.

"Hey. This is not that great, but... " She hands him a book. He puts the arrow down and flips through the book.

"What, no pictures?"

"I'm so sorry. I feel like shit." She says with guilt all over her face. 

"Yeah, you and me both." He snorts. 

"I don't expect you to forgive me, but if there's anything I can do..." She starts but Daryl cuts her off with a raised hand. 

"You were trying to protect the group. We're good."She smiles and starts to back up. "But hey, shoot me again, and you'd best pray I'm dead." Daryl warns her. I giggle and she smirks and leaves.

"You really forgive her?" I ask him. He shrugs.

"World is already gone to shit, no point in holding grudges."

"swear." He turns and give me a grin.

"So Andrea's allowed to swear but I ain't?" He asks with his eyebrow raised.

"I like you better." I tell him. He smiles and then goes back to making holes in the tent. "Daddy, stop it." I giggle. Daryl tenses up for a second but then relaxes.

"Nah, I ain't gonna stop till you let me outta here." He smirks. 

"Mr. Hershel said I can't let you do that until you heal."

"Then I guess we gonna have a sunroof in our tent."