Ch. 10

He didn't close his eyes, he just continued to watch me. I walked over to the floor where my bed was and sat with my back against the wall, watching him too. Two can play that game, and I'll win.

     Minutes went by and his eyes started to droop, his blinking wasn't as fast. The day's adventures and the suns heat were catching up with him. A few more minutes passed and the sleep won, he didn't open his eyes and his breathing was steady.

     I on the other hand wasn't tired, but I was curios as to where he put my dagger. It wasn't on his body, so he must have hid it from me. I just needed to get that back and then I'll be on my way. I can ask a stranger help for directions, a simple smile goes a long way. I wasn't going to stay here anymore.

     I make a move to stand and the floor squeaks, Ray sits up so quickly that it makes me jump. His eyes are on me, his breathing is back to being heavy and harsh, while in his right hand he holds my dagger. Of course he would keep it near him, like under his pillow for a fast grab.

     "Calm down, shesh. I was only trying to get comfortable on my new bed," I whispered harshly to him.

    I fluff the pillow and fold the blanket so it can take away some of the harshness of the wood flooring and then lay on my back. Ray is still sitting up, rubbing his face with frustration.

     "You know, if you want to stay awake we can talk this out?" I say, "So you won't fall asleep, again."

     He doesn't say anything back.

     "Still no conversation?" 

      Nothing, no reply. I sigh in frustration. 

     "You're really starting to annoy me Ray, if you want me out of your hair then fine," I stand," I'll go back to where you found me, and you'll never see me again."

     I take a step towards the door, he stands ready to stop me. I turn back to him, I really am tired of this hostility from him. If I wanted to be watched then I would rather be at my own home, on familiar land, with people who at least respect me and my power.

     "What do you want from me?" I ask.

     Still nothing.

     "Ugh, you know what-" I take a step near him, the same time he does. Now we're inches apart, he's looking down on me and I have to lift my neck slightly to see his face.

     "I do not have time for this. I am not going to be your prisoner, or better yet I am not going to sit around and wait for you to trust me. It's your own damn fault for being so naive about someone who has a pretty face."

     "Where are you going then hu? Tell me," he said it like he was testing me.

     "I need to find out who my father is," I said.

     "Why?"

     "Why? Because of this," I lift up my hands, there are no flames on them now but he gets the point.

      "So you ran away from home, to find you're dad," he asked.

      "Yes."

      "And you're proof is your power?"

      "Pretty hard core proof," I replied.

      "So that's the reason you left home?" he asked more softly.

      I nodded my head.

     The softness in his face left, "Then why did you say that today was your first time even knowing you can control fire?" He asked suspiciously, "You left home two days ago, you 'learn' about fire just now. Your story is not adding up Nova. And that's why I don't trust you."