XCVIII - Any Kind Of Cake

So this one is kinda funny. :) I enjoyed writing it, even though it felt like a bit of a filler. 

Enjoy!

_________________________________________________________________________________

Chapter Ninety-Eight

Living in Algiers was easy for us. Without the drama of the wolves and a certain ego-maniacal hybrid, life was simple.

Elijah and I had moved into the building across from the one that Marcel was living in. We were on the top floor. There were two separate sides to it, but the floor was completely open. There were two separate bedrooms, but other than that, I could look from my living room couch and see Elijah reading in his giant arm chair. It was actually quite comforting.

We were mentoring the vampires, but we were focusing on Gia for the time being. I could see her in a leadership role, kind of like Marcel's second in command.

I thought of Gia as a little sister, while Elijah seemed to think of her as more of a rebellious little child that he tolerated for the time being. He didn't show his discontent, though, which was a good thing. I was sure that she would prove that she was stronger than he thought she was.

It was difficult, but after Kol's death, we were slowly moving on. Of course, Rebekah, Davina, and I were still slowly searching for ways to bring him back, but right now, our focus was on the possible psychopath Mikaelson aunt that might be trying to kill us all.

I was sitting on my couch when my phone suddenly started buzzing violently. I groaned at the little device, picking it up and glancing at the screen for only a moment before jumping to my feet. I sped over to Elijah's side of the floor, where he was putting some clothes away.

"Marcel just texted me. Something's up with Rebekah," I said. "Marcel brought her back to his place."

He threw on his coat, and we both left our home to go over to Marcel's apartment. It seemed that Rebekah and Marcel were in the middle of a small argument.

"Are you alright?" Elijah asked as we came into Marcel's living room.

"Finally," she said, coming over to us. "The attackers knew me, Elijah! Not ME me, but this! Her, whoever she is! They want her dead."

Elijah went over to Marcel. "Then we find them and show them why their anger is unwise."

"You don't want to mess with that crowd, alright? We want answers, we need to ask Josephine LaRue," I groaned when Marcel said that. He nodded to me. "Yeah. That one. She serves as matriarch to the covens outside the Quarter. She'll know who wants Rebekah dead."

"How can you be sure?" Rebekah asked.

"She bankrolls Fauline Cottage," I said. "She will know exactly who you are and why you were put there in the first place."

"And what if she wants to lock me right back up? I won't go back to that horrid place-"

Elijah interrupted her. "The two of you go and see what you can find about this body you now possess. I shall pay a visit to Josephine," he cupped Rebekah's cheek a worried expression on his face. Lucky for me, he didn't see me on my phone texting the person I was sure could fix this mess. "A warning to you. You are not who you once were. This body is all too vulnerable."

Rebekah rolled her eyes in frustration, and Elijah headed for the door. I followed after him, before Marcel called out after him.

"Elijah. Josephine is an eccentric old bat with no love for vampires. Your charms might not work as well as you think," he told him.