sixteen: duke nightrunner

⠀⠀⠀⠀I slide on my jean shorts and a tee shirt getting ready to head off to Jackson's soccer game. The game starts in two hours and I have to pick up Ryland on the way. I had invited her to join me for the game as I know I'll be bored out of my mind.

Have I mentioned that I hate soccer?

Well, I do. A lot.

But I'm going to support Jackson.

I slide on my converse before grabbing my bag and heading down the stairs. I sling my bag over my shoulder careful not to trip down the stairs. I stop by the kitchen to grab some food for Ryland and I.

"Hey, Rosaline," I greet packing the sandwiches, fruit, drinks, and chips in a cooler.

"Hello, dear," she smiles at me while washing her hands. "Do you need anything else?" She dries her hands and joins me by the cooler.

"This is perfect," I close the lid and pull it off the counter. "Thanks a lot, Rosie," I hug her with my free arm.

"Anytime," she hugs me back. "I'll see you later. Have fun," she replies as I walk backwards towards the door.

"Bye," I wave before spinning on my heels and exiting the house. I make my way over to the garage and look for a car I can use. My eyes land on a black car that isn't Conner's. "Hey, John?" I call as John walks into the garage.

"Yes, Marley," he meets me by the car which I'm hoping I can use.

"Is it okay if I take this car?" I roll my bottom lip into my mouth.

"Yes, ma'am," he walks over to a wall that holds a lot of keys. He grabs a set before walking over to me. "Here you are."

I take the keys from his hand thanking him. I place the cooler and my bag in the backseat before lowering myself in the driver's seat. As I exit the garage, I notice that Conner is exiting the house and headed towards his car. We briefly make eye contact before I drive down the driveway and onto the road.

Conner and I haven't talked all that much since Saturday. He knows that I'm not going to stop seeing Jackson despite our talk. He doesn't support my relationship with Jackson, but he's there for me no matter what. And for that, I am thankful.

It takes twenty minutes to get to Ryland's house. I notice that she lives in a quaint house with a well-gardened lawn. The walls are painted a light blue color while the shutters are a contrasting white.

Pulling out my phone, I quickly send Ryland a text letting her know I'm here. A few minutes later, the white door swings open revealing my red headed best friend. Her hair is tied in a ponytail, and she's wearing shorts and a tee shirt like me.

"Hey," she greets breathlessly when she opens the passenger door.

"Did you run a marathon?" I joke. She rolls her eyes sitting down in the seat next to me.

"Something like that," she states buckling up. "I had to chase my little sister around the house." I chuckle at the thought.

"I didn't know you had a sister," I state pulling out of her drive way and onto the road once more.

"Trust me, you don't want to know her," she snorts. "She's twelve and a pain in the butt. She keeps stealing my makeup and clothes," she readjusts her seat getting comfortable for the ride, though it's short.

"Sounds fun," I tease. I've always wanted a little sister, but the way Ryland talks makes me rethink that want.

"Oh, yeah," she chuckles lightening up a bit. "Do you know what school Westfield's playing?" She questions as I pull out of her neighborhood.