51

Tori

"Ready to tell me?" I ask Steve, sitting on my bed.
Steve presses his lips into a small line, hesitant to tell me what happened in the H.Y.D.R.A. base.
"Please?" I beg.
"Alright," Steve sighs. "But are you sure?"
"Yes," I say, shifting closer to him. "Steve, I'll love you no matter what happens."
Steve takes a deep breath. "I hit the guy and he started to attack me back. That's how my lip split. He said things to me, things that I still can't comprehend."
"What were those things?" I ask.
"Told me that I was a freak and that the both of us will die soon."
"That won't happen, I know it won't."
"And his last words were 'Hail H.Y.D.R.A..'."
"Predictable,"
"Tori, I don't know what was going through my mind," Steve says. "I don't know why I beat him to death, I could've just-"
I press my lips against his, savoring his taste. I don't mind the cut; it's almost like it isn't there. I run my fingers across his long sleeve blue shirt, feeling its stitches. Steve kisses me back, as always.
     "You know that I don't like when you do that," I say against his lips.
     "I know," he mumbles. "But that's the only way I can get you to do that."
     "Just ask and I'll gladly do it." I snort.
     "I will," he says. "And my story is done."
     I glance at the clock - 7:30.
     "Time to eat, lovebirds!" Tony yells from the kitchen to Steve and I.
     We roll our eyes and rush to the kitchen for dinner.

•••

     I sleep peacefully with my head resting on Steve's chest. Somehow, I managed to get him to stay with me. He still isn't completely comfortable with it, but I know he needs someone to help him sleep. Steve's arms hold me close to him, as if he is protecting me from something.
     I wake to Steve's short jolts that he does in his sleep. I carefully lift myself up to examine his face. His lips are pressed like he has eaten something sour and his eyes are squeezed shut.
     "Steve?" I whisper, brushing back his tousled blonde hair.
     He jolts again.
     "Steve?" I ask again, gently shaking his shoulder.
     He bolts upright from the bed, breathing heavily. He grips the sheets with fists, obviously confused and scared.
     "Steve," I say. "It's okay."
    Steve's head snaps in my direction, showing his terrified face. He abruptly wraps his arms around me, burying his face in my hair. His hands tremble against my skin.
     "It's okay," I coo. "It's okay."
     He pulls away from my embrace and quickly closes the gap between us once more, placing his lips on mine. His still trembling hands cup my face. I run my fingers through his hair, sinking into the kiss.
     "Was it a nightmare?" I ask softly when we end the kiss.
     He nods vigorously. "I-I-I thought you were dead."
     "S-Steve," I say. "I'm right here."
     "I know you are now," he responds.
     "Do you want to tell me what happened?" I ask.
     "Y-Yeah," he stammers.
     I give him my full attention and allow my eyes to focus on his face in the dark.
     "We were on a mission in the mountains, finding a H.Y.D.R.A. base. I heard you scream and I saw you hanging from a rock in the side of the mountain. I-I-I couldn't help you and you fell off the side." Steve tells me.
     "That's never going to happen," I promise him. "But I'll stay away from mountains, just in case."
     Steve laughs softly and pulls me into another kiss.