Chapter 5

Chapter 5

Axel's POV

My heart pounded something fierce in my chest, in sync with my foot tapping against the ground. I halted my foot, realizing I probably looked desperate.

I was not desperate. I changed positions, leaning against the hood of my car. The fresh coat of white paint made it glimmer in the sunlight, looking eons better than any of the other mom-vans and dirty pickups around. But strangely, that didn't calm me down or make me feel any better, for once.

Damn it. Why was Oliver taking so long? I felt like I'd been waiting for ages. When was he going to get here?

Van finished his conversation with whomever and stepped towards my car, sniffing lightly and then flinching. He eyed me up and down as he approached.

"Axel, holy shit. You reek. Are you trying to set the other wolves off in a nervous fit?" He gestured behind me, and I then noticed the cars around mine. Oh, oops. I waved at my packmates, and they began driving out, the instinct to stay close to their distressed leader eased.

Van sat up on the hood beside me, lying down and enjoying the feel of the metal, warmed by the sun. I couldn't do the same. "Jeez, Axel, calm down," he snickered at me. "Did you run out here the moment class ended? Give the guy a break, I'm sure Oliver's at his locker or in the washroom."

"I know," I responded briskly.

"Yet you're waiting out here like a charming prince riding a white horse," he smacked the hood of my car. I couldn't find it in me to tell him off for touching her. "Are you sure you haven't fallen in love already?" he teased.

I turned to face him, scowling. "Hah? I don't love shit." Van nodded appeasingly, mockingly. I scowled harder.

"Seriously, I only need him to become the Alpha. But I don't give a shit about him. In fact, let's go out to that party this week, I want to pipe some girls. I'll fuck some fat-assed bitches until they're screaming and creaming—"

I cut myself off as I realized that Oliver was standing in front of my car.

He walked closer with that polite smile still on his face.

"H...hey, when'd you get here?" I asked, scratching my brow and clearing my throat, standing up straight.

"I just got here." Oliver raised an eyebrow slightly. "Sounds like you're going to have a fun weekend, eh?" He smiled at me carelessly, making my chest sink. Shit, he heard me? How much did he hear? And yet he continued to smile? I hated it.

Oliver turned to Van and gave him a much more friendly smile—dammit, why can't he act that way around me? "Hey, I don't think we've met before," he greeted Van with a nod, warmth appearing in his voice.

Van played along, nodding back. "No, but I've seen you around. Oliver Lockhart, right?" Oliver nodded. "I'm Van—"

"Van Sileian," Oliver cut off, grinning, easy and casual. "Who doesn't know the school valedictorian?" he teased.

Van tucked his hair behind his ear, embarrassed. "It's not certain that I'll be valedictorian," he refuted, humble.

Who was he kidding? He was the brightest in our school without a doubt. I didn't say anything, knowing better than to interrupt Van.