thirty five

"kehlani." his deep voice says, standing up from his seat as he sees me enter his office.

"good morning, mr. gilinsky." i nod.

"look, i want to talk to you-"

"i want to talk to you too." i cut him off.

a small smile traces his lips and i feel bad for leading him on the wrong way. his smile instantly disappears and his face falls and i slide a white piece of paper, with typed letters printed on it over to him.

"what's this?" he asks, his eyebrows pull together.

"i want to quit... for real this time." i tell him, politely remaining professional.

"what?" he asks as if he didn't hear me before. "is this really necessary-"

"yes, it is."

"come on, kehlani. we can work it out. i know i fucked up, but you can't put this all on me." he says, putting his fists against the wooden desk.

my eyes avert to his cast on his hand. it wasn't there when i saw him yesterday. my eyes then immediately flicker back up to his face when he clears his throat.

"you're going to leave me when i need you the most?" he says quietly.

"i'm sorry, ja- mr. gilinsky." i reply, my voice just above a whisper as well. "after i'm gone, i hope you find a better assistant." i give him a small smile and he looks at me like i'm crazy.

"i don't want anybody else." he truthfully responds. "i want you."

"as in?"

"i want you as my assistant and i want you as mine. forever."

*

after arguing back and forth with jack for about an hour, i finally got to resign and now i stand in front of johnson's house. probably looking stupid because he might be at work.

here's to new beginnings.

i didn't bother trying us again even if he insisted. i knew that after one argue net, it would lead to much more and that's not healthy. i'm sure he'd find someone amazing and it pains me to see him with someone else.

what can i do? i'm the one who let him go. we didn't even get to saying 'i love you's', but i'm sure he would've recoiled if i unexpectedly said it. it may be wrong of me to be getting over a man i loved this easily.

this will be good for the both of us and if we're meant for each other, we'd find our way back to one another.

"were you planning on staying out there all day?" johnson asks, opening his front door.

i blankly stare at him, "i didn't know if you were home... why aren't you at work?"

"i took a sick day." he shrugs. "you look nice today."

i give him a weak smile, "thanks. i ended things with jack." i suddenly blurt and his eyes widen.

he pulls me inside and makes me sit on the couch, explaining everything thoroughly for him. and i do, being sure not to leave out a single detail.

"... it's the right thing to do." i finish off.

"i think he loved you, kehlani." johnson says. "the way he looked at you and acted toward you. everything i saw with my own two eyes. how protective and overbearing he was. he loved you."

"that doesn't matter now, does it?" i say, picking at my nails. "i'm happy. he should be too."

"don't lie to yourself."

"i'm not." i truthfully confess. "i mean, i will eventually be happy, right? after this whole thing blows over."

"i can't believe you quit." j shakes his head in disapproval. "i thought you were smarter than to run away from your problems. this is your first fight. you could've worked things out."

"one argument leads to more. it's unhealthy, so i stopped it before it could go any further." i shrug.

"arguments here and there in a relationship are healthy. what's not healthy is being all lovey dovey forever. that's just creepy. no couple is like that." he tells me and my eyebrows pull together as i look up at him.

he sure knows a lot about this dating stuff.

"he's probably going to be so grumpy." johnson groans. "i'm dreading the rest of the week."

i bite the inside of my cheek and refer back to the look of disbelief on jack's face when i told him i was quitting for good. he had a cast on his hand and i didn't bother asking why he had it on.

it was obvious. he did something idiotic and hurt himself because of our fight. i may be overreacting, but i'm just removing myself from the situation. i've dealt with enough drama in my life. there's no need to add on.

"so." i abruptly say very loudly. "let's stop talking about him and just treat ourselves to a movie?" i suggest.

"kehlani..."

"shut it. i don't want to talk about him. i'm fine. i am perfectly fine and i will remain the same."

"you're gonna remain lying all of the time?" he raises an eyebrow and i narrow my eyes at him, followed by a glare.

"i'm going to remain fine." i flash him a forced smile. "now make the popcorn."

"you would've never guessed that jack is my boss and you aren't." he mutters, heading into the kitchen.

i pick out of the movie and pretty much gag at all of the romance ones. since when did johnson buy those? he's more into action movies. my hand hovers over kingsman. it's a movie we've watched together over a hundred times.

i continue on, wanting to change things up. i insert horrible bosses into the side of his macbook and j shortly returns with a bowl of warm popcorn. i pat the spot next to him.

"are you sure you want to ignore your problems?" he pushes.

"yes, i'm sure." i sigh in exasperation.

"okay..." he drags out, sitting next to me.

i don't want to think about jack; the first guy i ever loved.

{vote, comment, share}