Chapter 10: Wishing Things Were as Before

We stay like that for I don't know how long. It isn't until a furious knocking is at the door do we pull apart. Tobias grumbles something inaudible and pulls away. He exits the room and Tris and I just sit there, looking at each other. After a moment of silence, we let out a small laugh, just because of the absurdity of the entire situation.

A loud bang sounds throughout the apartment, surprising the both of us and causing our laughter to stop immediately. Shouting voices are heard, and after we share a worried look, Tris and I jump off the bed and out of the room.

What I see is not what I was expecting. Eric, dressed in regular clothes now, is standing so close to Tobias that with one little push they'd probably be on top of each other. A deep scowl adorns both of their faces, though I'm not sure who's looks more intimidating.

"What's going on here?" I question, stepping forward so they can acknowledge our presence.

Eric turns his head so fast to look at me I'm surprised it doesn't give him whiplash. A relieved look crosses his face and he starts to walk towards me when Tobias steps in front of him.

"I never invited you into my home."

I frown. "Four-" I start to object, but he cuts me off.

"No. This is my house, my rules. Get out."

"I let you stay in my house, Four." Eric argues quietly, but I hear the mailce under the words.

"Four, he's fine," I argue, walking up and stepping between the two. I push Tobias away from Eric, but my brothers' eyes never break contact with his supposed intruder.

"What do you want, Eric?" I sigh, turning around to face him. Though I'm no longer looking at him, I can feel the anger rolling off of Tobias in waves.

Eric looks surprised at the abruptness of my question, but quickly wipes it off, choosing for a calm, almost tired look. "I just wanted to make sure you were okay. You didn't tell me you were leaving."

"Why do I have to tell everyone all of a sudden where I'm going!" I ask, throwing my hands up in the air. "I left you a note. That should've sufficed."

"Well, besides the fact that you're an initiate and shouldn't even be up in these parts of Dauntless in the first place, there was also an attempted murder on you last night. I think that warrants me wanting to know where you are." Eric spits at me, taking me off guard. "If someone saw you up here by yourself, let alone with me, then they might get the wrong idea."

I lean back towards Tobias, absorbing what I believe to be the true meaning behind his words.

So he doesn't want me up here? He took me to his apartment for Christ's sake! But for some reason he wants to get all snippy about the rules right now? And what does he mean by 'get the wrong idea'? What's going on with him? I'm so confused.

Tobias seems to sense my uncomfortableness and places one of his hands on my shoulder in a comforting manner. Though, it doesn't really help me.

"Leave, Eric. I can take care of them."

Eric looks down at me, and from the way he stiffens, he can probably tell he said something wrong. He opens his mouth to say something, then quickly snaps it shut. He glares at Tobias and glances at me one last time before leaving the room.

"Well that was definitely something." Tobias mutters.

I spin around, causing his hand to fall off my shoulder. "What's wrong with you guys? I swear everything is a dick measuring contest to you!"