Chapter Ten: Coke Can

Chapter Ten

One week, two days, five hours, and twenty-seven minutes.

I sound like a complete stalker, but it’s been that long since my argument with Drew in my apartment. It was totally nerve-racking and I couldn’t even concentrate on the story Lillian was telling about this cute guy she saw at the mall.

We came back to our normal routine, before I got locked inside the school for the first time. Drew sat alone at the table nearest to the dumpster while I was seated at the table in the middle of the cafeteria surrounded by my popular group of friends.

The only upside I’ve seen since that night was that Lucas forgot about the whole kissing ordeal. He couldn’t even remember a thing from the party because of the amount of alcohol he consumed.

“What do you think, Celeste?” Lillian asked suddenly, snapping me out of my train of thoughts. I noticed that every single pair of eyes was placed on mine except for the Smith brothers’; both of them were happily picking on their food.

I don’t want to look like a horrible friend that didn’t even pay attention to the simplest stories of my friends, so I muttered, “Yes,” and prayed that it was a yes or no question.

“So you agree to go on a double date with Lillian and her newfound crush?” Jessica raised her perfectly waxed eyebrow.

I hesitated for a moment and cursed myself for not paying attention. I looked at Lillian who had her eyes wide with a glint of hopefulness shining in them. With a sigh I nodded, “Yeah, I’ll go on a double date with you.”

Lucas visibly stiffened and I suddenly remembered his confession. Did he really feel that way about me?

A huge grin broke out on Lillian’s face as she practically jumped on me, engulfing me in a huge hug, “You’re seriously the best!” she squealed.

I patted her head awkwardly and when I lifted my gaze, my eyes met those emerald orbs that I became familiar with.

Drew’s face was stoic was usual and his mouth was pressed into a tight line. He broke away from our eye contact and I felt my heart ache.

 When the bell rang our tiny group separated, but Jessica grabbed my arm and pulled me into the restroom, locking the door behind her.

“Celeste, what’s going on?” she asked, leaning against the tiled pink wall.

“What do you mean?” I asked, feigning innocence.

“You said yes to a date with the brother of Lillian’s love interest who we discussed as being one of the grossest kids ever,” she cringed, “And you’ve been avoiding Drew like the plague.”

“Nothing happened,” I replied monotonously, “I’m just following the status quo.”

With a look of disbelief, Jessica stomped her foot, “We don’t follow the status quo! What happened?!”

“Nothing,” I repeated and before she can question me any longer, I unlocked the door and marched out.

I didn’t feel like going to class so I instead hid inside the janitor’s closet. An overturned bucket served as my seat and I just sat there, staring at the mops.

Somewhere along the lines somebody messed up, and that somebody was me.

*

*

*

Perhaps the most awkward part of this whole ordeal was the fact that I still had to supervise the winter dance decoration because Drew was part of the whole committee.