07| Ruin and regret ✔️

***
One of the hardest thing in life
is having to say words in your heart that you can't utter.
-James Earl Jones

***

A D E N

(UNEDITED FROM HERE ON)

I watched regretfully as tears formed in her beautiful violet eyes.

Grayson, my wolf was yelling at me but I couldn't hear a word he said, all I could see and hear then were her tears of agony.

It had been in a moment of anger that I had spoken those words; I never wished to hurt her....Hell, I had even decided to acknowledge her as my mate and Luna in front of the entire pack.

But dumb as I was I ruined it all.

She pushed me away and ran from me towards an empty classroom. I heard her gentle yet heart wrenching sobs and it broke me to see her so broken.

I knew it wasn't her fault that Arie was kidnapped, nor her fault that her Dad died, yet she was made the scapegoat.

I could never hate her, even though I knew she hated me.

Everything changed after the attack. The balance between was lost after Arie was gone. My training as the future Alpha became more rigorous and intense. When you watch people die in front of you—it changes you. It breaks you. After that day, our lives had taken a turn. But instead of helping her on I was forced into the sidelines while more misery was added to her life.

I had never done it intentionally though. At first she seemed the only person who listened while I rambled on about Arie's loss.

But what had I given her in return?

Silence.

Kiara, had been my childhood crush, the first person I had fallen in love with.

I hated it when I saw Ashton with her; I hated it when Kiara called Ashton her best friend and never cared a slight about me. Arie on the other hand had always been my best friend. My pillar of support. She knew then about my feelings for her sister but was sensible enough to keep it a secret.

Even when my Dad blamed Kiara for his Beta's death, I never believed him. It was obvious he was trying to subdue him because her growing powers intimidated him. He was so used to have the women in his life quietly agreeing to his every will and whim, he couldn't live with the truth that one day she'll gain powers and become more powerful that him. So he strategically lowered her position before that day came. So even when that eventually happens, she'll be an Omega with no training, no skill.

Devious.

I couldn't defy him. Not yet, at least. Especially not when he uses his Alpha aura to command me. So I did what I to protect her the best way I could. I began to ignore her because that was the only way I managed to get Dad to stop mistreating her. I had a choice—either stay by her side, and have us both subjected to the same treatment. Or, I could avoid her and save her from the ire of my father.

I was naive enough to think I could stop an Alpha in power.

Soon the entire pack followed his footsteps. People either bullied her or left her alone. I never had the courage to hurt her physically since her eyes seemed to strip me off my facade every time our gazes met, but our severed friendship had caused her irreparable emotional pain.

Even now I dreaded the consequences of him finding out about our mate bond before I became the Alpha.

Grayson's ranting brought me out of my reverie. "Go and apologize to our mate, dick! You actually deserved that slap!" He hollered at me.