Chapter 1

Chapter 1

Three months later- friday 

I sit with the stick in my hand and tears rolling down my face. I can’t do this I can’t be a mother I’m only 17 isn’t it enough that I have been raped now I have my rapists baby growing inside of me. I have already been to the doctors but I had to hold evidence in my hands to believe it, I now know how all them teenage girls that are pregnant feel – like they’re worthless and dirty.

I hear a knock on the door and with shaky hands I open the door to see my older sister Stella, unlike me Stella has black hair everyone does I was the only one to inherit my mother’s blonde hair.

“Dakota, are you okay?” she asks me and I nearly laugh at her question, no how can I be ok I have a baby growing inside of me and I’m only 17 I’m not ready to be a mother yet.

“I’m pregnant Stella” I wait to see what her reaction will be and what I get is not what I was expecting.

“Mon, Dad get your butts in here right now!” she shouts and not even a second later my father and Monique are standing there with worried expressions on their faces.

“What’s wrong?” my father asks Stella

“She’s pregnant she has that monsters baby growing inside of her!” Stella shouts and I flinch I have never heard her shout before.

“Not to worry she can have the thing aborted” my father says calmly.

“Yeah you’re right dad I’m over reacting...I’ll go make her an appointment”

“Wait I’m not killing my baby...that’s murder!”I scream and everyone pales at the words “My baby” as if I have committed some sort of a crime.

“Alright they’re plenty of options ... you could give it up for adoption?” Monique tries to reason.

“No...No I will not give my baby to another person to raise...I’ll raise my baby I’ll be a good mother I look after kids in work I can do this”

Stella steps back and so does Monique they both put a hand on my father who I can see is raging.

“Dad she doesn’t mean it...she’s not thinking right now” my father knocks both of them out of the way and I’m taken back by my father’s outburst he’s normally so calm and collected.

“YOU WANT TO RAISE THAT THING .... HAVE YOU FORGOTTEN THAT YOU WERE RAPED DAKOTA AND THAT THING IS A RESULT OF IT!”

“I was raped but this baby is mine!”

“YOU WANT TO RAISE THE MONSTERS THING THEN GO AHEAD....GIRLS GET IN THE CAR...WE ARE GOING OUT FOR DINNER AND I WANT YOU GONE BY THE TIME I GET BACK OR I’LL PERSONALLY TAKE THE THING OUT OF YOU MYSLEF!”

“Dad please”

“YOU ARE NOT MY DAUGHTER....MY DAUGHTER WOULDN’T RAISE A RAPISTS CHILD!”

My sisters scurry out of the house not even glancing in my direction.

“YOU ARE DEAD TO ME DAKOTA!”

I feel a stab of pain in my heart, the man who has been with me through everything, my first trip to the dentist, the kissing of bumps and bruises and the man who has stood by my side has just abandoned me. My own father has disowned me.

I throw the test to the ground I’m way past crying now, crying will accomplish nothing I just have to prove to them that I can do this that my child is not a monster. I have no time for tears, I have a baby to love and protect and that’s exactly what I’ll do.