Jonah Clarke Is Enlightened

Here's a New Years treat. I think you guys might like this one...

Also, uhm, I'm kinda planning out a spin-off based on Charlie Martin (no guarantees that I'll post it, or even write it for that matter) but I guess I kinda wanted to know how you guys felt about that. You could expect a lot of angst and some boy x boy, and maybe some sexual content

There's something different about 'Sprinkles' this time around.

Perhaps it's the fact that this is the first time Isaac's been there, perhaps it's the fact that the last time Daniel was here he and Jonah were kissing or it's perhaps it's just down to the fact that for the past few days everything has felt oddly out of place. Like saying those three stupid words shifted everything off balance, sent them so askew that they can't right themselves.

"Three scoops of strawberry," Isaac orders.

Daniel can tell that Isaac knows something is up but luckily the other boy does not seem to be pushing the issue and for that Daniel is thankful.

"And for you?" Jonah asks.

"Coffee please."

"How many scoops?"

"As many as you can fit into the bowl."

Both Isaac and Jonah look at Daniel with unimpressed expressions on their faces, as if they really cannot believe that Daniel has ordered that. Daniel isn't entirely sure why they're surprised. His love for ice cream, for food in general in fact, is well known and he's hardly going to pass up the opportunity to eat ice cream, especially when Jonah is using his generous employee discount.

Daniel soon realises that it's not just the feel of the place that feels different, but everything. When he sits down all Daniel can think is that the booths seem so much smaller, that Jonah's body seems so much closer to his than it ever did before, surely he would have noticed if their knees pressed together that way before.

It's not the place that has changed though, it's Daniel's viewpoint. Before the booth didn't seem quite so small because it seemed okay for Daniel's knees to be pressed against Jonah's. But now Daniel has to resist the urge to pull away, because with each brush of their legs against each others' Daniel finds himself wanting to edge closer. But being near Jonah is like being stood near the edge of a cliff in the pitch black, Daniel isn't sure how much closer he can get before he's going to get hurt.

Daniel takes his mind off all of that with ice cream.

At least if he focuses on that then he can excuse himself for not allowing his eyes to land on Jonah. He can pretend that it's totally not normal for him to say a single word as Jonah and Isaac become immersed in conversation about something or another. Daniel can pretend that everything is absolutely fine.

And it is, or it seems like it at least.

Of course there's awkwardness, and Daniel still finds himself analyzing every word before he says it, just in case there's some hidden meaning that Jonah might take the wrong way. But for the most part the pair seem to be moving on. Daniel doesn't care if they're making slow progress, at least it's progress.

"You alright there?" Isaac asks teasingly, causing Daniel's attention to switch to him. "You've eaten that ice cream with more dedication than I'd have thought possible."

"Well y'know, eating ice cream is a very serious task."

Daniel doesn't miss the miniature smile that fights its way onto Jonah's face. Perhaps it's because Jonah – like Daniel – is thinking about the very first time Jonah brought Daniel here. When Daniel made a similar comment and Jonah laughed as if he'd just told the funniest joke in the world.