15. The William's Disappearance

Grim expressions were those of the people slowly gathering around the ruined Entrance of the Castle - teachers, staff and students, stared for what could possibly be the last time at the place they were proud to call home. Now, they were being forced to leave and hide, hide from the Dark forces that seemed to linger above their heads, urging them to join the evil side and away from the light. There was complete silence surrounding them. Their skin was dirty, smeared with ashes, dried blood and sweat; their eyes held no emotion apart from fear and blankness. They looked destroyed. 

The harsh rain from yesterday had extinguished the remaining fires but smoke was no longer visible in the sky. All that was left behind was mass destruction of what once used to be a beautiful castle. The sky was grey and clouded, though it was early morning, and the wind was blowing bitterly against their cloaks. No one had been able to owl back to their families, for the owls had fled, probably scared from the loud battle noises and explosions.

Cautiously, they followed the Headmaster, who with a loud sob began to walk down the hill. Hermione boarded the Hogwarts Express, slowly, taking her time to cast a few glances over her shoulders at the school, before biting her lip to supress a sob and walking down the aisle. She spotted Penelope, who was tending to a yelping boy's arm. She couldn't see his face, but his blonde hair, chubby cheeks and round belly, peeking through his ripped Ravenclaw's Cloak, was enough to tell.

"Patrick!" She sounded surprised as she jogged closer to them, earning a curious look from the boy as she reached them. A small smile tugged at the corner of her lips. "You're alive!"

"Shocking isn't it?" he mumbled, wincing as Penelope mumbled a heling spell on his arm.

They walked inside an empty compartment and Hermione felt relieved to see Ursulla Lovegood, sitting by the window with her usual clouded expression, as she read through an old Daily Prophet. Her bright blue eyes twinkled as she looked up at her fellow classmates and everyone dropped on their seats.

"I still can't believe Dumbledore is dead," said Patrick Howell grumpily. "How are we supposed to defeat them if our greatest Wizard of all time is gone?" He sighed, staring out the window as the train began its journey.

"We're doomed..."

"We're not doomed," said Hermione severely. She looked around to face the blond, who was watching Hogwarts disappear from view behind a mountain. "We might have lost Dumbledore, but – we still have the Ministry –and the aurors -- and many good powerful wizards who will be able to defeat them."

"The Ministry," Penelope scoffed. "You heard her, the devil – she said she had acquaintances inside the Ministry..."

"We can't trust anyone..." mumbled Patrick.

Hermione sighed, slumping her shoulder in sign of defeat. She stared out the compartment door at the students still passing by, followed by the occasional teacher, who would check inside the compartments to make sure everyone was alright. Pale skin and a mop of black curls caught her attention and Hermione found herself staring at the Tom Riddle's eyes, who had stopped by her door.

He had caught the attention of the other occupants around her as well, who were staring back and forth between them with curiosity. Not once did Tom break eye contact with her and he looked as though he wanted to say something; Hermione saw his pale, slim finger touch the knob but as if having second thoughts, he quickly pulled his hand away and dashed down the aisle.

"What a looney..." Murmured Patrick.

They started hushed conversations as they sped past Muggle towns; putting on jackets and coats and getting rid of their dirty and ripped uniforms; pulling into platform nine and three-quarters at King's Cross Station. It took quite a while for them all to get off the platform. A wizened old guard was up by the ticket barrier, letting them go through the gate in twos and threes so they didn't attract attention by all bursting out of a solid wall at once and alarming the Muggles.