2: Remus Lupin - Hogwarts' Worst Prefect

Thankfully for the other three members of James Potter's compartment on the Hogwarts Express, he had indeed ran out of conversation topics at some point in the journey and resorted to playing Exploding Snap with Peter, offering Sirius to join, but the long haired boy had shaken his head, finding himself with rather a lot on his mind, of which an unfortunate amount related to the curly haired boy that slept at the other end of the compartment.

Remus had fallen asleep at about an hour into the journey, and had remained so ever since; Sirius, who had found himself frequenting glances at the boy, and indeed the scar upon his face (suppressing a wince each time), had been the first to notice but found no need to bring it up, and somehow Remus had managed to continue his sleep whilst James continued to babble on about Lily Evans and her many wonderful qualities - a matter which Sirius found himself at an Outstanding level in, courtesy of James, of course.

James had noticed that Remus had fallen asleep at about the three hour mark and spent a good five minutes glancing between Remus and Sirius and then Peter, and then back at Sirius because Remus was asleep and Peter seemed to be very invested in his sandwich.

"He's asleep." James had finally been able to vocalise the obvious: his eyes widening as they met Sirius' across the compartment.

"Mhmm..." Sirius had nodded, glancing across at Remus, just in case he'd miraculously vanished in the space of three minutes, of course.

"How asleep?" James had continued to ask: his tone somewhat hushed, which Sirius found very amusing considering he'd been practically yelling about Lily for the past hour; Sirius wouldn't have even been that surprised if Lily had heard him from whether she'd been situated on the train, probably with Snape. Severus fucking greasy haired Snape definitely was in the top ten shortlist for Sirius Black's least favourite people, and he would have indeed made the top five with ease if Sirius didn't find himself cursed with having such a large and largely awful family.

"Asleep asleep. What other kind of asleep is there?" Peter had looked up from his sandwich to add: having caught somewhat of their conversation after all. "Leave him. If you woke me up when I was asleep I'd bite your hand off."

"I'd like to see that." Sirius had added with a grin; the mental image working to amuse him greatly.

Peter had narrowed his eyes across the compartment at Sirius, "this applies to you, as well."

Sirius held up his hands in defense, having not expected such an outburst from a small boy eating a cheese sandwich, but Peter Pettigrew was indeed full of surprises, such as that time last year when he'd stolen some polyjuice potion from Professor Slughorn's store cupboard and combined it with one of Lily Evan's long auburn hairs... and well... that had been quite the day for James.

"I'm not planning on it, Pete," Sirius had insisted, before finding himself thinking back to Remus, and indeed unable to resist a glance in his direction again: feeling that scar himself each time he laid eyes upon it. "And we should let him sleep," he narrowed his eyes at James across the compartment.

"I'm not suggesting waking him up!" James had exclaimed, as if it was blindingly obvious; his eyes darting between Sirius and Remus, before shuffling in his seat so one leg was pulled up to his chest, "I'm just..." His words had fizzled off into the air.

Sirius had arched an eyebrow at him from across the compartment, "you're just?"

"Just what?" Pete had put his sandwich down completely at this point, so it was officially declared an important matter - this was a method of declaration that Sirius had conceived in third year, noticing how the end of Peter's eating seemed to often foreshadow an important conversation or event; perhaps Peter should have taken Divination, as Sirius wondered if he might actually have a knack for it, as much of a load of bullshit Sirius thought it to be, but of course, Peter had taken exactly what James was taking, and Sirius had taken the only a few subjects, but of which Care of Magical Creatures was one, because he could definitely see that petting a Hippogriff, although a little dangerous, was a much preferable way to spend an hour than Arithmancy - which was something Remus had chosen, because Remus was perhaps one of the only few people taking the class that actually had a vague clue what was going on. This was because Remus was 'a bright and intuitive student', and also because he was sat next to Lily Evans.