41- Let's get out of here

Dennis had contacted Alex by conventional method when they had gotten up.  Alex had tried to give him a hard time about him not being there to do his duty and lead the morning patrol, but he had eventually relented and told him that he should do anything that was needed for him to be able to keep his mate happy.  That made him wonder if Alex knew just how happy he had made her.

When Barry had walked into the kitchen to find him there, he had thought that Amanda’s grandfather was going to have a heart attack or something, but Amanda gave him a meaningful stare, and he backed down.  Dennis wasn’t too sure how he felt about a girl saving his neck, but decided that as long as the girl was his mate, he could live with it.

During the rest of the morning as Amanda and Barry got ready to meet the rest of his family, he could sense some unease from Amanda.  It grew and grew until the easy banter and conversations stopped all together.  And then, just as they were ready to leave, Amanda pulled him into her bedroom.

“We have to talk,” she told him; her voice strained and emotionless.

“Yes, I figured as much.  What has been bothering you this morning?”  Dennis waited anxiously for her to say something.  He only hoped that she would not send him away from her.  It would be unbearable; knowing how a part of her already craved his company.

“Last night...” she began nervously, and then got stuck; not knowing exactly how to carry on.

“Last night...?”  Dennis began for her again when she seemed a little less nervous.  She kept quiet, still not sure how to express herself in this situation.

When she didn’t make an attempt to speak it made Dennis very uneasy; did he really want to hear what she has to say; when she knows what it is she wants to say?

“Look,” he gushed, scared that she was mad at him.  “We can pretend it didn’t happen?”  He volunteered, hoping she would accept and that they could carry on normally.  Well; almost normally.

Amanda sighed and shook her head.  Last night had happened, and for as much as she almost wished it hadn’t happened, she was OK that it did.  More than OK with it!  “It did, and I will not take the easy way out of this Dennis.  I guess I just need to make sure you are not expecting more from me today than yesterday.”

“Of course not!”  Dennis exclaimed, relieved that she was not sending him straight to hell.  “I told you; I will wait until you feel that you are ready for this.”  He let his finger trail over her cheek.  “I think your wolf had a rather big influence on your behaviour.  I imagine she does not feel that much in harmony with your thoughts at the moment?  So I guess she just needed to make sure how things stand between us.”

Amanda gritted her teeth.  He really understood!  She didn’t know whether she should be upset about it or happy that he knew her so well.  And she did not like caving in to her wolf like that; she had never felt completely in harmony with her wolf and at one stage she had hated what she was.  No wonder her wolf had felt the need to assert herself.

Dennis grunted in frustration.  He might know certain things about her instinctively, but unless she was willing to talk to him, they would never get very far.  “It drives me crazy when I see your mind flying like that.  Please talk to me.  Don’t shut me out.”

Amanda stared at Dennis; he was everything any girl in her right mind would kill for.  And here she was, sulking.  He was gorgeous, mouth watering, totally edible; he gave the word ‘understanding’ a completely new level.  He was kind, funny, honest to the point of embarrassing, adventurous; heavens was he adventurous!

Looking down into her face he watched as a string of different emotions flashed across her face.  She was doing it again!  He growled at her playfully and she smiled at him apologetically.