Chapter III

It had been a few months since I had began to help out at the Silver Talons pack. I was completely used to being round the kids - who had all recently celebrated their tenth birthday - and I was being accepted by the rest of the pack.

Rowan’s initiation of becoming pack alpha was the tomorrow night. The entire household was bustling, trying to get things ready. As it was a full moon, the surrounding packs were invited; including the Red Wing. I was nervous - scared, even - of seeing my brothers again, but knowing that I had the support of Rowan and his pack made me feel a little more at ease. I was starting to notice that every time Rowan touched me, talked to me or even looked at me, my heart rate would rapidly increase and I would grow flustered. My reactions were beginning to get on my nerves, but there wasn’t much I could do about them; it was just instinct.

The party would be much like the one where Rowan and I met. There would be a bonfire, alcohol and people just having a good time. Since this was special, the alphas of each pack would each take their own time to welcome Rowan as a new leader.

When the time of the party eventually came, I wore a pair of red skinny jeans, a grey hoodie over a black t-shirt and my converse boots. After all, I wanted to at least try to look a little nice for the special occasion. Rowan and I walked to the clearing where the gathering would be held just in time to see the fire being lit.

Different packs arrived at different times, and Red Wing were last to arrive. Whenever one of the members came near me, I would suddenly be too busy with a heated discussion with one of my new pack members to pay attention to my siblings or their friends.

I did want to talk with Raven, though. She had been a massive help throughout my entire life, and I really wanted to thank her for it. But I couldn’t find her.

Come to think of it, I hadn’t seen Rowan for a couple of hours either. This was getting scary. My only hope of backup when facing my brothers had gone missing.

“Hey, Runt,” my brother Kite greeted from behind me. “Did you miss us?”

I flinched at the sound and felt all colour drain from my already pale face.

“I hear you’re doing well at the new pack.” Cole appeared next to his beta. I turned around to face the both of them.

“Not so fast, Runt.” Swift and Perry were suddenly behind me. “You haven’t said ‘hello’ to any of us yet. That’s bad manners, you know.”

As if they had they had the experience to be lecturing me about manners. I would have talked back if Rowan - or even Raven - were here watching over. But the weren’t, and my brothers had me practically surrounded.

Kite stretched his hand out and grabbed the bridge of my glasses, and slowly slid them off of my face.

The world went blurry. I couldn’t see. I reached out in front of me to try and grab them back, but Kite wasn’t where he had been. I felt someone push me from behind, causing me to stumble forward blindly.

Someone caught me. “Woah, are you okay there?” Kite’s voice asked.