What a Disappointment (Barnes/Rogers x reader)

You hadn't realized that your hands were shaking at first until Steve pointed it out when you took the tablet from him. He was gracious enough to keep it quiet, but his look of concern was hard to hide from a table of highly observant people.

"(Y/N), something wrong?" Bucky asked, "you look uncomfortable with this. Is everything okay?"

Tony looked up from his own work now, raising a single eyebrow as he studied you, "yeah, (Y/N), you look a little green. You feeling alright?"

"Guys, I'm fine," you sighed, giving Steve a warning glance to leave it alone. "I just...uh...skipped breakfast...that's all."

"Well you had better remedy that, because we fly in twenty." Tony stood with the rest of the team following his lead, conversing quietly and slowly making their way from the conference room. Steve held back and continued to watch you, now beginning to make you uncomfortable.

"Let it go, Rogers," you said in a flat tone, trying to stand to leave but stopping under his tight grip of your arm. "Hey, I said, let it go."

"Of all the people that I've worked with, you are the one who never gets rattled. I need you to be honest with me, (Y/N), or I can't trust you."

With a quiet groan, you closed your eyes and squeezed the bridge of your nose in frustration and now a building anger towards your Captain. He wasn't backing down, but you knew that if you said anything that he would pull you from the mission; you also knew that you were the only one who could finish it. You had been with HYDRA for years before defecting to SHIELD, and now to the Avengers; this was the mission that you had been prepared for. A mission that only you and Nick understood fully, with details you couldn't share even with your own team.

"Like I told you, I skipped breakfast. I'm fine." With that, you stomped deliberately from the room, not looking back but hoping that he wasn't following you. Steve stood and gathered his supplies as he considered what he was going to do. He needed you, definitely, but he also worried that there was something going on that would jeopardize either you, the mission, or both.

His eyes followed you as you walked down the hall and towards the hangar bay. "You're a terrible liar," he mumbled to himself, following you a few steps behind with his mind still racing.

~~~

"So, you do anything fun Saturday night?" Bucky asked lightheartedly, dropping down into the seat next to you. "You turned down my offer to take you out, so there must have been something really great happening to miss out on all of this," he smirked.

"Yeah, I went to bed early."

He shook his head with a small grin, reaching around to secure his safety harness, then turning to check yours as well. "Okay, grandma. I get it, you like your naps." His hand slid under the belt to your right and pulled firmly to be sure it was connected tightly, but you slapped his hand away with a huff.

"Barnes, knock it off. I know how to do it."

"Well, we don't want you falling out again."

"That was your fault, if you remember?"

Bucky lifted his head and took on a look of reflection, as if he were playing out the memory in his head, but quickly shook the thought away. "Nope, I don't remember anything of the sort."

The jet lifted and cleared the tower; you closed your eyes and rested your head in an attempt to clear your mind for the task you were about to take on. You would go head-to-head with the leader of HYDRA. Your knowledge of their systems and protocols gave you a significant advantage over the rest of the team, and you were able to forge clearance codes and identification for yourself to gain unlimited access. You were the only one who could make it convincing.