Chapter 12

Adelaide was walking across the town with Stefan when she got enough of it. 

"You have Katherine's phone, right?" Adelaide asked. 

Stefan nodded, handing it over. Adelaide took it and dialed the number she knew was Elijah's. 

"Katerina?" He answered with so much affection that she couldn't do it and gave the phone to Stefan.

"Hello, Elijah." Stefan answered. 

Adelaide listened in. "Where is Katherine?"

"Where's Elena?" Stefan shot back. 

"Safe. How long she remains so depends upon you.

"Well, I guess the same goes for Katherine." Stefan said. 

"Oh, Katherine can take care of herself against the two of you." Elijah said, keeping in mind that Katherine is much older than the two brothers. 

Adelaide held out her hand. Stefan was confused but gave it anyway. 

"Yes, she can." Adelaide said and heard Elijah gasp. "When we're talking about Stefan and Damon yet it is me and your baby sister than will get our hands on her. Be prepared, Elijah, for I shall take your beloved Katerina." She spat the name and gave the phone back to Stefan. 

"Tell me where they are." Elijah demanded, not knowing it wasn't Adelaide on the phone anymore. 

"Relax. No one's gonna get hurt as long as Katherine hands over the cure." 

"Do you understand how much my sister despises Katherine?

Adelaide snorted. "Does he understand how much I hate her? Now that she has touched him, even more so." 

"I assure you, Rebekah will end her the moment she ceases to be of use.

"I'll end her before she can even be of use." Adelaide mumbled. 

"Well, just tell me where you are, and we can talk this through." Stefan demanded. 

"You listen to me very carefully, Stefan. If anything whatsoever happens to Katherine, I will descend upon Elena.

Speaker, Adelaide mouthed. 

Stefan did put the phone on speaker, held it between them and Adelaide spoke. "Should I find you and Elena and something happens, or already happened, to Elena on your watch, I'll end you." 

"You can't... You lo-

"I loved you, but that changed the moment you told me I was nothing. So, drittsekk, if anything happens to Elena on your watch, it won't be Katerina Petrova you need to worry about. I'll see you soon, Mikealson." 

Adelaide hung up and practiced a locator spell. "Phasmatos Tribum Nas Ex Veras" 

She saw an alley and Elena talking to Elijah. 

"I know where they are, I'll go... you find Katherine and your brother. Should Rebekah do anything, she's untouchable." 

Stefan nodded before they both leave. 

Soon, she's at the alley. "You underestimate me, Elena. I know who she is. I know what she's done." She heard Elijah say. 

"And you think she's changed? She's playing you. She lied to you, Elijah." Elena said to Elijah. 

"She didn't lie to me about your transformation." Elijah said. "You're not just a vampire, though, are you? There's something else. You...you're not yourself." 

Adelaide came into sight for Elena. "I believe it is called flipping of your humanity switch."

Elijah turned around and his breath hitched. In front of him stood Adelaide in shorts with a navy blue tank top and her hair was down in waves, around her head. She wore heels underneath her shorts and stood tall. But not just literally. She stood there with a raised chin and squinted eyes. 

"You've abandoned your emotions." Elijah said to Elena. "Why?"

"My brother's dead. Your girlfriend killed him." Elena accused. 

Elijah looked shocked and Adelaide walked closer. "Elena, I believe our noble one here, didn't know what his little... mphm, 'girlfriend' did." 

"You didn't know?" Elena scoffed. "Of course you didn't."

"She lied." Elijah murmured. 

"I hate to say I told you so, but...duh!" Elena said. 

"Sucks, doesn't it? I know what it is like, Elijah, a few months back the guy that I loved told me he loved me as well. Not even six hours later he told me there was nothing holding him in that place. Now, you see, I believed he loved me. He lied to me-" 

"I didn't-" 

"Yes, you did! You told me, you loved me! Yet, you turn your back on me and not even five minutes afterwards you're already hooking up with a Döppelganger, one that put you up against your brother 500 years ago. Was it really that easy?"

"You think this has been easy? On me? It certainly looked like it was easy for you when I saw you with Stefan Salvatore, I saw you moved on, so I did the same. Is that a crime?" 

"What are you talking about? I haven't moved on from you! I have been moping around, pretending I don't care but guess what, I do care! I care because I love you but you just proved- yet again, may I add- that you don't love me even though you claim you do." 

"Of course I do, but when I came back to town the week after I left, I saw you out and about with Stefan Salvatore. Laughing and having fun. Forgive me for thinking you moved on." 

"Damn it, Elijah! That is called friendship. You know that, friendship? It's when you have people around you that care for you and will try to make you laugh when you're down. I have laughed and had fun with Niklaus as well, so tell me, did I move on with him as well?" 

Elijah took a deep breath, making sure he doesn't lash out on her. He turned to Elena instead of continuing his banter with Adelaide. "I know what it feels like to lose a brother. And I'm sorry for your pain. I...I only hope that you can find your way back to yourself someday."

"Just like you hope Katherine will find her way back? You still think that innocent girl you saved from Klaus ages ago is in there somewhere?" Elena asked as she stood up. 

"I'd like to think so, yes." Elijah confesses. 

"She's not. She's a monster now, Elijah. The sweet peasant girl you fell in love with way back then is dead. And she's not coming back." Adelaide said. Even though she hated his guts at the moment, she still didn't wish him any pain. 

"I'm not a fool, Adelaide. Of course this has occurred to me, but what kind of man would I be if I didn't try to find my Katerina beneath this...Katherine façade?" Elijah asked. 

"You boys are all the same. Damon and Stefan still think that the girl they love is still in here somewhere, too." Elena cut in. 

"You can't blame them for having hope, Elena. It'd be a shame if the world lost a soul as compassionate as yours."

 "'Your compassion is a gift, Elena. Carry it with you always and forever.' I remember reading that in a letter once." Elena quoted. 

Elijah smirked. "Well, the writer sounds positively gifted. I'm sure he meant what he wrote." 

"I'm sure he did. And it felt good to watch that letter burn, along with my old life and along with Jeremy's body." Elena falls lifeless on the floor and behind her stands Katherine. Without Damon, Stefan or Rebekah. 

"Sorry, I got held up." Katherine said. 

"Where is Rebekah?" Adelaide asked, worried about the blonde Original. 

Katherine shrugged and as much as Adelaide hated to do it, she groaned before speeding off towards the house where she saw Rebekah.