Chapter 42 - I still don't like it.

Lucy's POV

Beck, Devlin and I finally arrive at the Pack house at about ten to six and, from the looks of all the cars parked outside, the meeting's already started. It took a lot of convincing to get Beck to agree to come tonight but, eventually, I managed to persuade him. As we walk up the steps to Justin's front door, I notice him starting to drag his feet, though.

"Hey, you okay?" I ask as Devlin opens the front door.

"Yeah," he replies with a shrug, holding the door open after Devlin to let me through first. "I just get the feeling that tonight is going to be like Devlin's hearing all over again."

"Maybe," I agree, "but at least you have more people on your side. I mean, David's the one that asked me to get you here tonight."

"Yeah, I guess so," he replies before shaking his head. "Let's just get this over with."

Once inside, we head straight for the sound of voices coming from the meeting room and open the door, immediately drawing the attention of everyone in the room.

"What the hell is he doing here?" Baldwin snarls, breaking the suffocating silence that covers the room and glaring at Beck.

"I asked him to be here," David quickly answers before anyone else can speak up which, judging by the looks of disgust on their faces, they definitely want to.

"Why? He can't be trusted!" someone else shouts out.

"I think I'll be the judge of that, Rick," David replies, his voice ringing with a tone of finality that seems to cause everyone to think twice about protesting further. Everyone except, of course, Baldwin.

"And how are we supposed to trust your judgement, David?" He challenges, moving his glare from Beck to the Alpha as he stands up. "You've done nothing but lead us into a further mess."

Multiple gasps echo around the room as soon as the words leave his mouth; no one talks to the Alpha like that... ever.

David silently stands up and looms over the table, returning his glare with extreme anger, and every single person in the room apart from Baldwin and Beck bow their heads slightly in respect and fear. Surprisingly, however, the words that the Alpha speak are calm and controlled, whilst still holding a clear ring of authority.

"I've had enough of your disrespect, Quinlan, and I'm not going to put up with it any longer. Either you learn your place or you leave my Pack," he announces, giving him a clear ultimatum.

The tension in the room rises further as Baldwin remains standing but, after a few more seconds, he sits and bows his head a fraction, clearly backing down again.

I quickly glance in Beck's direction to try and figure out what he's thinking. His focus is completely on Baldwin, who now sits glaring at the floor, and it's obvious that he's confused about something. Then, as if a light goes off inside his brain, Beck turns to look at me as David begins to speak to the rest of the Pack about order and respect.

"Luce," Beck whispers, his eyes flickering back to Baldwin before returning to me. "I have a bad feeling about that guy."

"I know, he's a dick, just ignore him," I reply.

"No, I mean-" he says, quickly cutting off and looking back at the bad-tempered teacher. "Look, this might be a bit far-fetched but... Quinlan's originally an Irish name."

I look at Beck for a few more seconds before I realise what he's getting at. Quinlan's an Irish name, the rogue's always seem to be three steps ahead of us, Kailen told me that he always had people keeping tabs on me... is it possible that - is Quinlan a spy? I mean, it would explain his complete hate for me and disrespect for David, but then it could also be that he's just an asshole. I'm not willing to risk it though.