Different Sense: 26

Lothiriel placed a hand over her face. As much as she hated to see her short counterpart suffer, it was quite funny seeing him wriggling around in his attempt to climb. She wasn't alone in trying not to laugh. Lothiriel had the manners to hide her amusement, everyone else weren't as decent. Despite the laughing Bilbo continued on his way until he disappeared from view.

It was quite a while before his feet popped back into view. “It just goes on and on!” He said breathlessly. “It's endless green, I can't see an end to it.”

Thorin sighed, he was unsure as to what to do. Balin stepped forward, “Lad,” he looked at him. “We know what Gandalf said. But what words he spoke won't help anyone if we end up starving and dehydrated in the middle of this forest, on a path we were instructed not to leave.”

“He said that if we were to move away from the path, then it would surely be impossible to find it again. Then we'd die here anyway, weigh up the risks, Balin.” Thorin paused to look at his friend. “We could take a chance and follow the path, or we could leave the path and never find it again. Either way I think we face death in either case. But I’d rather take my chances with sticking to the path, at least then someone may find us should we fall.”

“But Bilbo said it does not end, Thorin.” Lothiriel commented from his side. He looked down at her, “The risks seem the same.”

Thorin fell silent, Balin spoke again; “The light must mean someone is out there. If fate is with us they'll aid us.” Thorin still didn't look convinced, he looked from Balin to Lothiriel and then back again.

“What do you think we should do?”

She raised a finger and pointed at herself. “You ask me?” She said in a disbelieving tone. “Bilbo said it does not end, then perhaps it would be best we find where the light came from or where it's going.” She said hesitantly. “Maybe it can help us? But...I suppose, one of us will have to go find it first, right? If one of us tethers a rope around themselves, one of you can hold it. It'll be a safe guard of sorts, a safe guard that will allow us to find our way back. But then...” Lothiriel scratched her head thoughtfully. “Upon saying that, I do believe I am the less threatening out of all of us. Let me go.”

“No.” Thorin said sharply, and seriously.

Lothiriel rolled her eyes and turned from his side. Walking lightly over to Bofur she took to rummaging in his pack. Pulling out a rope she gave a triumphant smile, one which Thorin narrowed his eyes at. “Lothiriel, I said no.”

“Fine look,” Lothiriel crossed her arms and nodded her head slowly. “You have my permission, to run yonder, all weapons drawn charging as if into battle in search of a mere light.” Lothiriel reached out and placed the rope in his hands. Closing his fingers around the cord she looked up at him. She gave him the most innocent smile which accompanied a hard glare though.

Thorin would easily admit that the defiant streak in Lothiriel bothered him at times. Only times where she was contradicting him. It was clear she would never lose her temper, whereas he obviously would.

When he didn't answer, she took the rope back and tied it around her waist. She held out the rest of the rope to him. “If I am being attacked, I expect to be pulled back to you.” Lothiriel waved over her shoulder while charging off into the forest.

Thorin gripped onto the rope but not too tightly that it'd get in the way of her moving. She had well and truly disappeared, her footsteps had vanished completely. It was eerily silent, them all standing intently staring and waiting.

Looking down at his hands, Thorin was becoming increasingly concerned. He was running out of rope, the silence which had enveloped them all wasn't helping the moment either. Everyone was anxious and seriously wishing that Lothiriel would re-emerge.

Many minutes passed and their came a crunch. Considering the silence it rung out as loud as swords clashing. All eyes glanced around them to try and pinpoint where the noises were coming from. They all seemed to be leading into the dark of the trees.

There was another snap and the rope which was previously tied around Lothiriel flew through the air and landed with a thud on the ground in the middle of them. 

Picking the rope up, Fili examined it. “Its been cut.” He said icily. As Fili's words echoed about them a loud scream came from the trees. Thorin didn't need to be told twice, he charged forwards with everyone following after him.

He was about to call out for her when light footsteps sounded in front of him. It was hard to see the owner because of the tick coverage. Looking over his shoulder he waved to the dwarves. “Something is coming.” Everyone hunkered down and awaited for the unknown owner to come into view.

As one pair of footsteps grew louder it was clear that there were other silent ones too. A shadow jumped over a fallen tree and skidded along the ground.

There was a clash, the swords struck together with such force the sparks flew from them. Lothiriel's face became visible in that one split second. Giving the signal the dwarves charged forwards.

Thorin easily helped Lothiriel with her attacker. He quickly looked over her, there was a shallow cut which ran from the corner of her eye to the tip of her jaw. It looked like a bloody tear had trailed down her face. To accompany this there was also blood seeping through her shirt and cloak on her shoulder.

“Run.” She whispered seriously and quickly darted off again.

Lothiriel shot past Thorin as speedily as she could. He didn't honestly want to wait to see what was on her tail. He turned along with the rest of the group and made for a hasty retreat back the way they had come.

They were all very much aware that there were footsteps behind them, following them all the way. Thorin had caught a glimpse of Bifur who had possibly taken the unwise decision to look behind them.

“Bifur, what is it?!” Thorin called to him.

“Nymphs!” He cried shortly. “Hundreds of them!” He called when there was a sudden snarling, Thorin rolled his eyes and shot a look over his shoulder. He regretted doing so, many armoured riders were chasing after them. If that weren't enough, then their chosen steeds being wolves was surely enough to make him regret looking.