Chapter 14

It was nearly four days after Adeline died that she, Caroline, Bonnie, Matt, Stefan and Damon stood in front of the casket along with Niklaus, Rebekah and Elijah. Elijah stood behind Adelaide and had her hand in his. 

They hadn't really talked anymore but that was because Adelaide was busy with handling everything for the funeral. There was no one that she could have left anything to, and everything was in name of Adelaide anyway so there was no will. 

She felt him squeeze her hand and she softly smiled before she stepped forward, breaking their connection and threw some earth in the grave. The tombstone was a very modest one. 

Adeline Ackelson

1953-2012

Daughter, Friend, Wife

 She slowly walked away, towards her car. She heard someone call after her but she ignored it and just got in her car and drove away. 

Adelaide was at home when someone rang the bell. She had cried enough and she knew that Adeline would've wanted her to be happy. She didn't want Adelaide to cry for her, she wanted to be remembered with smiles, not tears. She earned that, Adelaide thought and so she rememberd her daughter, mother, grandmother- however you want to call her- with smiles. Her last wish, fulfilled. 

She opened the door and saw Elijah there. 

Maybe this is the time to talk, she thought. 

She invited him in and led him to the living room. 

"Sit down." She invited him, pointing at the couch in front of her. 

He gave her a tight smile before sitting down. Both were still in their dark clothes for the funeral, but they thought the other had never looked better. 

"How are you holding up?" He asked. 

"Each day a little bit better. She may not have been my real daughter, but I certainly raised her as if she was." 

He smiled at Adelaide a bit sadly. "I truly am sorry for your loss." 

"Yeah, everybody is." She looked up at him and sighed. "But, why did you really come, Elijah? I imagine it's not to pay your respects." 

He hung his head low. "No, it's not. I know that this may not be the best time but I'd like to try again." 

"Why? So you can run again and start over with someone?" She said harshly. He looked up at her with wide eyes. "Sorry, I shouldn't have snapped at you." 

"Maybe it's better if I go. Perhaps I should return another day. When you're a bit calmer." He said. 

Adelaide nodded and led him to the door. When he was by his car, she wanted to ask something. 

"Elijah?" 

He looked up and saw her standing by the door. He couldn't help but imagine that being her when they were married and she would welcome him home after he was gone for a while. Perhaps he was gone the whole day and she'd welcome him like that, before she would run over and jump in his arms to kiss him as if he was the air she needed to breath. 

"Was it easy?" She asked. When he looked confused, she elaborated. "Moving on, was it easy? Because I can't do that. I wish I could, but even after all those months, years, I still love you. Will it ever be possible for me to move on?" 

"I never truly moved on, Adelaide. It wasn't Katerina's name I screamed when we were in bed. She knew I loved another, yet she stayed by me, why? I have no idea, she probably wanted me to feel something for her... I don't." He shrugged. "Probably never did. I was never her boyfriend, nor was she ever my girlfriend. We just... met each others needs, if you will." 

"So, your needs were to be fucked by someone else, only to call out my name while you could've been here with me, we would've been together for months, we more than likely would've been going at it like rabbits and you would call out my name when we were, not having sex, but making love? You used that poor little Döppelganger, when there was another option. One where you didn't need to use someone." 

"I thought you had moved on." 

"Elijah, I told you when I loved you, I had never been with another man. I was always waiting for you. You, you, you! Everything I ever did leads back to you. Because I love you. You knew that I hadn't been with another man, you knew that you ruined me for other men when you nearly attacked me in the hallway of this same house. Yet, when you see me with another man- my best friend, may I add- you believe I moved on." 

"What would you have done? In those days that we were together you didn't laugh as much as you did with Salvatore. You seemed happy. With him. Of course I thought you had moved on. You did the same when you heard Katerina!" 

Adelaide walked closer. "She was braging about you.'Oh, when I say friend, I mean friend,'" She imitated Katherine. "What would you do? I heard someone say you moved on, I heard the person you moved on with saying it. Of course I thought you moved on, you would have done it too! I actually had proof, you just suspected and couldn't handle it."  

"What was I supposed to do?" Elijah yelled. 

"You could've asked me! You could've come up to us and ask what it was! I wanted you to come to me but now... I just want you gone." Adelaide yelled, just as mad. 

"Fine, I'll leave then!" 

"Good!" 

Neither of them moved though. Not away from each other, anyway- no, they moved closer to each other. 

Their lips nearly touched when Adelaide mumbled, "Leave." 

"Gladly." Was Elijah's response before he moved his lips to hers. 

They stayed like that until Elijah felt his hands going down, and suddenly he pushed her up against himself by her butt so she had her legs around her waist. 

That midday, or afternoon, or night neither came out of the house as they were both naked and lost in each other. After 1000 years, Adelaide finally got what she wanted. Elijah. 

But this didn't do anything to the fact that he basically said she was nothing and him 'moving on' with Katherine.