Chapter 26

Harry kissed me goodbye on the mouth as we stood leaned against my car when the school had finished.

“Good luck with everything. If you need me, all you have to do is call me! You know that, right?” I nodded, appreciating his consideration.

“Yeah, I know.” He gave me a long hug and kissed the top of my head before starting to walk to his own car.

“I love you,” he said before blowing me a kiss and opened the car door.

“I love you too,” I giggled and returned his gesture with a small wink.

My flat felt so empty without him. I already missed the sound of his footsteps, the small thud of his bag hitting the floor, how he used to snore and how he mumbled in his sleep. I missed him. I kicked of my shoes and locked the door and went straight to the kitchen to get something to eat. Yes, I eat a lot, like, all the time. I ate a sandwich and drank some apple juice out of the box. I let out a small sigh. I felt so lonely, and a bit scared. I grabbed my phone and texted Harry and told him that I missed him. It only took a few seconds before he replied.

- Miss you too, sweetheart :* xx

I blushed even though he wasn't there with me. I sent a lot of kisses back to him and was just about to put my phone back when I got another text. I held my breath, but it was my father, telling me that he was on his way.

I stood there, nervous as hell. It's been such a long time since I saw him. I wonder if he would be any different. I didn't think so, Skype had given me a pretty good picture on what he looked like nowadays. It was after all my father, I don't think I wouldn't recognize him. People started to enter the airport, meeting up with their families and friends. My heart started to beat really hard in my chest.

Get real Amber, it's you father for God's sake!

That's when I saw him. My father. Looking the exact same way as always. It became like one of those movie scenes where you just runs into the arms of the person that you've missed so much. Dad just dropped his bags and opened his arms, lifting me up slightly and hugging me so tight as if we'd never meet again. I couldn't help it, but tears started to run down my cheeks. I had no idea that I'd missed him this much.

“Dad,” I whimpered. He put me down and wiped away my tears.

“Hi honey! I've missed you so much.” He gave me another long hug.

“How are you?” he asked and picked up his bags again. I helped him carry some.

“I'm great!” I said, and knew that it wasn't completely true. I mean. I was happy, but I could be happier.

“That's good!” dad said in a very cheerful voice.

“What about you?” I asked as we walked towards my car. Man, his bags were really heavy! How long is he planning on staying?

“I'm great! You know, there's something I haven't told you. I've tried, but you've seemed to be busy everytime I call you,” he said, still sounding happy though. That's true, I've actually cut him off sometimes when he actually calls me, which is sad since he doesn't call me that much. But, he has been calling when I didn't really have time to speak, or when I couldn't explain where I was. Like that time when I was running into Harry after my meeting with Elizabeth, I had to tell him that I was somewhere else. I couldn't really tell him that I was seeing my therapist since he didn't even know I was seeing one regularly (which isn't that regularly anymore). And when I think about it now, I did notice how happy he always sounded when he called, as if he had something to tell me, but I just kept telling him lies and hung up without giving him a chance to tell me. Maybe that's another reason why he came here today, so he could meet me face to face and really tell me what was going on in his life. Because he obviously wanted to tell me something.

“What is it?” I asked, a bit nervously, as I threw his bags into the back of my car. He didn't answer me, just gave me a grin and entered my car. I quickly opened my door as well and sat down behind the wheel.

“Dad!” I said and gently punched him in the side.

“Tell me!” I laughed. He laughed with me and let out a sigh before answering me.

“I'm getting married.”

I didn't know what to think really. I mean, I was happy for him of course, but it just wasn't feeling right. I must've looked pretty sad and shocked when he told me.

“Amber honey, you okay?” he asked, nervous about my reaction. He gently grabbed my hand. I had to fight against the urge to pull it away. I don't know why, but I felt disappointed.

Amber, get a grip of yourself. Be happy for him.

I tried my hardest to smile, and I guess I managed to give him one that was just wide enough to show my teeth. It probably looked forced, but it's better than not getting a smile at all.

“I'm sorry dad, I'm just a bit shocked,” I said and gently squeezed his hand.

“I don't blame you. I should've told you sooner, but like I said, you've sounded so busy that I didn't wanted to interrupt your life with that huge information,” he said and gave me a heartwarming smile.

“It's okay. I understand,” I said and looked down on my hands. I realized that I hadn't even started the car yet. So I did and started to drive home. No one said anything for a few minutes. I had to admit that I was still pretty curious about the news, even though they cause some sort of shock.

“So, who is she?” I asked and gave him a quick look before returning my gaze to the road.

“Oh! Her name is Caroline and we've been together for a few months now. I finally gained courage to propose to her, and well, she said yes.” I could really hear the happiness in his voice even though I was focusing on the road.

“Wow, dad. That's amazing. So, when will the marriage take place?” I asked, feeling a bit upset about the fact that he'd been together with her for “a few months” without telling me. Steve and Caroline Carter. That sounded pretty good. I bet they will be a nice couple.

“We don't know. We haven't really started to plan the wedding yet, even though Caroline is pretty excited to start with it right away.”

“Oh, I see.”

It became quiet for a while, which is strange since we hadn't seen each other in such a long time. We should have a lot to talk about, not sit like two quiet little mice. But that's exactly what we did, until dad broke the silence.

“So, how's your love life going? Any boyfriend? You still haven't told me about your new friend,” he said, smiling at my red cheeks.

“Well, since we're on the subject, yes. Yes, I do have a boyfriend,” I said, trying my hardest not to laugh at his shocked face. I blushed so hard and held the wheel in a tight grip, causing my knuckles to get white.

“That's wonderful Amber! Who is he?”

“His name is Harry.” I said, not really sure how to describe him, I couldn't exactly tell him that it's the son to my therapist.

“Go on,” he said, not satisfied with just knowing his name.

“We go to the same school, so that's how we met,” I said.

“I really don't know how it all happened, it just did,” I continued, blushing very much.

“Well, that's great! I can't wait to meet him! I'm happy for you princess,” he said and gently patted my shoulder. Princess. He hadn't called me that since I was a kid. Tears started to burn in my eyes again, making my sight slightly blurry. I wiped away the tears when dad looked out the window. God, I've missed him so much.    

Please Vote and Comment ;)