60

Tori

     "What was the nightmare about?" Steve asks me as soon as we get comfortable on the bed.
     I don't say anything to him for a second, putting my head on his chest. He runs his fingers through my hair, waiting for me to start.
     "We were in the building that was on fire," I begin. "And we were looking for survivors, as we did a few hours ago. We had already brought the boy to his mother and we went back inside. Y-You were ahead of me and when you turned a corner, y-y-you were hit with a bullet. I-It hit near your heart and I-I couldn't do anything. So, you just kissed me and told me that you loved me. Y-Y-You died in my arms."
     "Tori," Steve sighs. "I know how you feel."
     "I know," I mumble, picturing Steve's pale face when his eyes lost the light in them.
     "Let's just hope that neither of us get anymore nightmares tonight," Steve says, holding me close to him.
     "Yeah," I respond. "No more nightmares."

•••

     "Wake up, sweetheart," Steve whispers in my ear, laying a hand gently on my arm.
     "Hmm?" I groan questionably, opening my eyes.
     "Tony wanted me to tell you that we have a meeting with Fury at headquarters."
     "M'kay," I say. "Just five more minutes."
     "Nope," Steve says, sitting on the edge of the bed. "We leave in an hour."
     "An hour?" I ask, sitting upright.
     "Yes," Steve giggles. "Now, up and at 'em."
     "Okay," I groan. "I suppose."
     "I'll leave you to it," Steve says, getting up to leave the room.
     "You already took a shower and got dressed, didn't you?" I ask, not looking at him.
     "Yes,"
     "That's not fair,"
     "Tony needs me to help him with something, so I just thought that I ought to get it over with."
     "Okay, I'm going to take a shower,"
     "Okay,"
     I get out of my bed and waddle to the bathroom. I rotate the shower handle and water flows from the shower head. I peel off my t-shirt and shorts, throwing them in the hamper. I get into the shower and wet my hair. I put shampoo in my hair and start to hum. Before I realize it, I am singing aloud.
     I hear a faint male voice in the background, singing along with me. I continue to sing, just softly. It isn't Tony, his voice is deeper than this one. Clint's is higher, Bruce's is lighter, and Natasha is excluded. That only leaves one person.
     I peek my head out of the shower, covering myself with the curtain. The bathroom is empty, and the door is still closed.
     "Steve?" I call.
     "Yes?" Steve's voice asks from my room.
     "Can you come here for a second?"
     "Y-Yeah,"
     The bathroom door creaks open, Steve coming in. He covers his eyes with a hand, not wanting to be rude.
     "You can look, Steve," I giggle. "I'm covered."
      Steve slowly puts his hand to his side, staring at me.
     "Yes?" he asks.
     He holds his shoes in other hand, most likely he left them in here.
     "Was that you singing?" I ask grinning.
     "Yes," he says blushing.
     "Well, you sound amazing."
     He blushes even more. "T-Thank you. You do too."
     I blush too, thanking him as he leaves the bathroom. He covers his eyes again, causing me to laugh. He hums the song on the way out, closing the door behind him.
     I smile and continue my shower.