Chapter 18

The simulation was over, but I was still left reeling from the phantom pain left by the searing flames and the chunks of shrapnel that'd consumed by body. My breathing was ragged as my eyes snapped open, and it felt as if there were a cold band strapped across my chest.

"That," I paused, swallowing loudly as I attempted to gather myself. "That was realistic."

Tilting my head back, I saw that Banks' eyes were opened wide, and his mouth was set into an almost smug smile. He didn't say anything, instead slowly moving in to remove the electrodes from my forehead. The atmosphere was laced with a feeling of uncertainty, and finally I couldn't help but voice my biggest concern.

"Were my results the same? Did you get your confirmation?"

"They were, and I did," he said without elaborating.

"What kind of information were you looking for anyway?" I asked, deciding to push the subject further.

Though he clearly looked like he wanted nothing more than to pour over his newly gathered data, I had to give him credit for putting his papers away to answer me. Like a teacher attempting to explain a new subject to his student, Banks spoke with patient yet precise words.

"Through this test I have gained new and valuable insight, which I will explain in detail once I've had time to read through the complete analysis. However, I can tell you this; the results I've thus far seen are astonishing and far better than what I could have ever hoped for." He grinned –that ambiguous hint of a smile I was getting to know so well. "I have high hopes that once you hear my proposal, you'll support not only me, but my cause."

Cause? What cause?

I mulled over his words, turning them over and over in my mind as I fought down the spike of impatience I felt. Unlike the simulation, I knew this wasn't the appropriate time to be openly defiant, but nonetheless I had to will myself to ignore the urge to pester him for more answers.

When he gestured at the door, I nodded reluctantly and hopped off the exam table, wiping my sweaty palms on the fabric of my jeans. I'd taken but a single step into the hallway when Jade stumbled into me, Dan a couple of feet behind her. As one of her hands flailed for balance, I quickly reached out to offer my support.

"Nice save," she said, laughing lightly as she settled herself in my arms.

"I do what I can," I grinned back. When it didn't appear as though she'd move though, I cleared my throat. "So, I think Banks needs you in there."

"That's right." She sighed, giving me a playful pout before she sashayed into Banks' office. "I'll see you around boys."

Faintly, I caught the sound of the door lock latching shut, then nothing more.

"What's up with those two?" I asked, turning to Dan with a raised brow.

"Not sure." He shrugged. "But I wouldn't worry about it. He always talks to Jade and Vera. It's nothing out of the ordinary."

I cocked my head in surprise when I noticed the oddly stiff tone in Dan's voice. He hadn't sounded angry, or even cold, but aloof: not even looking me when I tried to catch his gaze.

"Hey, what's wrong?" I asked, playfully punching his arm in an attempt to get his attention. "I only ever see you this pouty when you're hungry. So, have you missed a meal recently or something?"

"I have." he admitted grudgingly after a moment of silence. "Breakfast."

I glanced at my watch. "Breakfast?"