Chapter 13 - Operation Daisy

Days passed where I saw nobody but Maisie. The idea of returning to my reading spot was out of the question with the chances of Logan looming nearby. And now, between working with Susan and Mallory and trying to distract Maisie from her Dan-issues with girly activities I was beginning to feel a little crazy. My hypothesis was that it was my separation from the beach, the rolling waves and happy sounds that allowed me to have an hour or so of peace in the mornings absent from my day-to-day life was absent, leaving me restless.

But, even if I did conjure the courage to venture down the steps to the smooth caress of the sand between my toes, it wouldn't be a peaceful place. Not when the tension between Logan and I was burning beneath my skin and I still felt like screaming in his face. No, maybe it was best to do exactly what he'd suggested. Never see him again.

Of course, that was easier said than done, but I could at least try to maintain it with all the power I had.

Logan wasn't the only boy causing me grief, though. There was Daniel. I hadn't even properly spoken with him, but he was already irritating me through Maisie. It was turning into a game to me of 'how long can I distract Maisie before she brings him up again?' They needed to sort it out, desperately. I was beginning to think that maybe I needed to be the one to shunt them together. So, I insisted Susan roster me to work with him this morning, in the hopes of executing a genius plan I'd been hatching.

I think a look of fear crossed his face when he saw me walking across the lawn, dressed in my sky blue uniform with a determined look on my face.

"Morning," I greeted sweetly.

"Hey, Val." His tone was nervous, a little hesitant.

The temperature was already starting to rise so I shrugged off my sky blue cardigan. My apron was hanging from a hook at the back of the room and I tied it around my waste, shimmying a little to the cheerful music playing.

Daniel looked, to put it bluntly, like crap. His red hair was askew, his eyes were saggy and possibly a little puffy, and his posture was defeated. Maisie had refused contact with him, and it was clearly taking out its toll on both of them.

"Before you get started, I just wanted to let you know that I already know I'm in the wrong," Daniel said when I didn't start the conversation.

This didn't surprise me, Daniel was honourable and he never pretended to be perfect to protect his ego. "I think we all know that."

"But I can't even apologise anymore, Val, she won't contact me, won't even let me know what she's thinking. I-"

"I'm not going to pretend I understand why you were talking to Mallory in the first place," I interrupted. "But what I do understand is that you two need to sort out your issues, whether this all ends on a good note or a bad one."

Daniel gulped, but he nodded. "What can I do?"

"You need to do exactly what we know she'll be secretly expecting. You're gonna have to go all movie-star heart-throb on her. Balloons, flowers, chocolates, I don't know." I screwed up my nose at the thought. Cheesy romance was far away from ever being my thing. But I'd been planning this for a while, delicately creating some kind of method for him to earn back her forgiveness. "You have to put up with her yelling at you and explain to her why you did it. Most importantly, if you want to keep her, agree to have no private contact with Mallory. At all."

"Of course." Dan was now nodding enthusiastically. "That sounds perfect, but how can I catch her alone?"

"Leave it to me," I assured. I would lure Maisie to lunch with me and leave her at the table for Daniel to find her. "But you better go and get organised, I'll cover you. Meet you at Bryce's Bakery at twelve."