chapter two: [heartfelt interrogation]

"And here you are living, despite it all."

    Indigo's POV

   "But if you play, I'll have no one to talk to on the bench." Stiles whined. "Are you really gonna do that to your best friend?"

  "I can't sit out again. My whole life is sitting on the sidelines." Scott sighed, throwing his bag on the grass. "This season- I make first line."

  I rolled my eyes at Scott's dramatic words, allowing myself to see on the metal bench while the boys walked over to the field. I noticed Scott walked to the goal, a worried look on his face. Stiles sat next to me with the same look.

  "What's wrong with Scott?" I spoke up, looking at Stiles. His eyes widened, before he cleared his throat and looked at Scott.

   "He doesn't do goal." He sighed.

"Well-" I breathed out. "First for everything, right?"

  As soon as I finished, Scott slammed to the ground, a lacrosse ball hitting him square in the face. I winced at how hard he fell back, hearing him groan from all the way over here.

"Hey, way to catch it with your face, McCall!" I heard someone shout.

  I was slightly angry, it was his first time playing goal.

Scott abruptly stood up, getting back into a ready position. The next player did the same, scooping up a ball into his lacrosse stick. He started sprinting towards the goal, before lifting up his stick. He swung it forward, sending it straight to the goal.

   And straight into Scott's goalie stick.

My eyes shot open in surprise, the difference between the first and second shot having extremely different outcomes. He actually caught it.

   I looked over to Stiles who had looked just as surprised as I was. He noticed me staring and shrugged, not knowing how Scott managed to actually do it.

  I looked back and the practice continued, Scott catching shots over and over. He looked more and more surprised after each one, as if he didn't think he'd be able to either. By the time every player had shot, Scott already had his goalie stick in place, ready to catch it.

˛

   "I don't know what it was." Scott shrugged, stepping across the small creek. "It was like- I had all the time in the world to catch the ball."

I huffed as I followed after him, Stiles behind me as I cautiously made my way over the small path of water. I had my hands in the air next to me, trying to balance myself as I stepped on the rocks that made a bridge.

  "And that's not the only weird thing." Scott added.

I paused my feet and looked up at him questioningly. Where the hell was this going?

  "I can hear stuff I shouldn't be able to hear. Smell things."

"Smell things?" I spoke up, my eyebrows cinched.

  "Like what?" I heard Stiles breathe out as we reached land, stepping off the last rock.

"Like the mint Mojito gum in your pocket." Scott dead-panned.