61

Tori

     The Avengers walk into Director Nick Fury's office. My damp hair is in a ponytail and I wear jeans with a thin purple shirt. I stand in between Steve and Tony in front of Fury's desk.
     "I've made plans for you all for the next few weeks," Fury announces.
     Everyone directs their attention to the man in black while he reads off of a paper.
     "Rogers, Mr. Stark, Romanoff, and Barton are all going on a mission in Italy. Banner and Miss Stark are going to be staying here to analyze this."
     Fury sets a small object the size of a baseball on the desk. It is gray and has a red dot in the center, vein-like designs spreading from it. Bruce picks it up, examining it.
     "You'll do that here at S.H.I.E.L.D. headquarters," Fury tells us, taking back the ball.
     I don't pay any attention to what he is saying. I am having to stay here, at home, not on a mission. And to make it worse, neither Steve or Tony are staying with me.
     "Ms. Stark," Fury says. "I know that you aren't very happy with me right now, but I have something different planned for you that is a bit personal. Plus, you need a little break."
     "Director Fury, I don't need a break," I hiss. "I'm perfectly capable of-"
     "Says the woman with her leg wrapped up," Fury points out.
     "Tori," Steve says. "When you were rewrapping it before we left, the burn didn't look the best."
     "Your hands didn't either, Steve." I sigh, trying to show that I am worrying about him.
     He looks down at his newly bandaged hands, nodding to my statement.
     "Anyway," Fury says. "Everyone but Banner and Miss Stark better be prepared tomorrow morning for the mission."
     "Tomorrow?" Steve asks. "That's a little short notice."
     "Yes, it is, but it's important."
     "Fury," Tony asks. "Exactly how long are we going to be gone?"
     "About two weeks,"
     I take a shaky breath. Steve and I are going to be separated for two weeks.
     "That will be all," Fury says.
     Tony, Clint, Bruce, and Natasha leave the office. Steve begins to, but sees that I keep my feet planted on the floor.
     "I'll be out in a minute, Steve." I say.
     Steve nods and slowly leaves the room, leaving me and Fury alone in the same room together. And especially in this kind of situation, Fury and I are bound to kill each other.
     "Are you trying to piss me off?" I hiss, crossing my arms.
     "Ms. Stark, I have my reasons."
     "Yes, because not letting me on a mission and making me stay home and do something 'classified' without the people I care about is a good reason."
     "Stark, you have been on missions and whatnot non stop since you joined S.H.I.E.L.D. when you were eighteen. You need a break."
     "I've had a break. Remember when I was secluded to the tower and when I couldn't speak? Those were breaks."
     "Stark," Fury scowls. "I'm making you stay because we may have an antidote for your power."
     "What if I don't want it?" I ask. "You ever think of that?"
     "Suit yourself," Fury says, staring at my feet.
     "What?"
     "I highly suggest that you look at the floor."
     I snap my head down, seeing a thin sheet of ice spreading from my feet. I gasp and step back, hoping that will stop it. It keeps going, then dies down.
     "That is my point,"
     "I hope you're proud of yourself, Fury." I thunder, pointing a finger at him.
     I stomp out of the room, slamming the door behind me. I hear ice coat the doorknob as it slams. The Avengers stare me with confusion.
     "Somebody's a Salty Sarah," Tony says.
     "I'm not in the mood, Tony." I growl, walking down the hallway.
     "Oh c'mon, Sarah." he teases, trying to seize my wrist.
     I flick my wrist away from him, turning around to face my brother in the eyes.
     "What part of 'I'm not in the mood' do you not understand?" I snap.
     "Geez, I'm just playing around." Tony says, backing away.
     "T-Tori," Steve stammers. "I-Ice."
     I look at the floor, seeing ice spreading from my feet again. I hold my hands out as I step back from everyone, not expecting ice to shoot from them. I yelp, trying to conceal my hands.
     "Tori," Steve says, walking toward me.
     "N-No," I stutter, sprinting out of the building as the ice follows me like my shadow.