Year 1 | The Point of No Return

AS MUCH AS she protested against it, Lily Potter was unable to keep Hermione, Ron and Harry from visiting Hagrid one they set their minds on questioning about their recent discoveries regarding the sorcerer's stone

AS MUCH AS she protested against it, Lily Potter was unable to keep Hermione, Ron and Harry from visiting Hagrid one they set their minds on questioning about their recent discoveries regarding the sorcerer's stone. Usually she would feel inclined to dig deeper into such a mystery, but seeing as it involved Hagrid, a dear friend to them, who could get himself into potential trouble because of it, she was reluctant. But naturally, as the other three eleven-year-olds stomped down the sloping hills towards Hagrid's wooden hut in the fear distance, she followed.

A serene twilight had fallen over Hogwarts. Bright stars speckled the hyacinthine sky and the leaves on towering trees that made up the Forbidden Forest swayed softly in the chilly breeze. In the far distance, Ron spotted the Astronomy tower, where he was see there were students gazing through telescopes to examine the clear skies -- hands-on Astronomy classes always took place at night for obvious reasons. The fact that there was a good chance someone would spot them only made Hermione and Lily more weary, but they realized it was too late the dim rays of light from within Hagrid's hut fell on their faces. To the right of Hagrid's dwelling was a considerably large pumpkin patch. The soil within it was recently turned over, indicating that Hagrid had already planted seeds for the next year's humongous orange pumpkins. Ron glanced back at the Astronomy Tower as Harry rapped his knuckles on Hagrid's large wooden door.

"Hagrid!" Harry hollered. Fang the Boarhound barked excitedly on the other side of the door. There was scuffling before the door creeped open to reveal Hagrid, who stuck his large bearded head out of the gap.

"Oh, hello." there was something off about his behavior as he greeted them hurriedly, "So sorry, don't wish to be rude, but I'm in no fit state to entertain today."

And as quickly as the door had opened, he closed it again and left the four curious and persistent first years standing in a stupor. They exchanged quick glances and then, "We know about the Sorcerer's Stone!"

Hagrid's opened the door again and this time, he mutedly ushered them inside. Dang jumped around and licked them happily as they entered and when the giant shut the door behind them, he silently stalked over to his fireplace. Considering that the hut was made up of wooden walls and floors, they knew the concept of lighting a fire in the dwelling was a bad idea but decided not to push their luck and comment on it. A pewter cauldron hung over the fire and as Hagrid used a metal poker to stoke the flames, he spoke up gruffly,

"What do yeh know 'bout the Sorcerer's Stone?"

"We think Snape's trying to steal it!" exclaimed Harry. Lily opened her mouth to disagree, but Harry shot her a warning look and she shut her mouth, setting her jaw angrily.

"Snape? Blimey, Harry, you're not still on about him, are you?"

"Hagrid, we know he's after the Stone." said Hermione, "We just don't know why."