Chapter 16

Before Elijah went to Rebekah's place, he went to Adelaide's.

"Adelaide." He said, hearing her cry.

She looked up and saw him in her living room. "Go away." She ordered.

Elijah shook his head. "No, we need to talk."

"Elijah, please, don't. I have cried so much these past months... please don't." Adelaide begged.

"No, you need to hear what I have to say. When I asked my brother to let me love, I meant you because he kept me away from you these past days."

"Why do you want Katherine to be free? We both know that Klaus will not really look for her... granted he'd probably kill her if they would cross paths... you're pleading for her life, why?"

"There was a time that I did care for her, and she cared for me. I am just doing this for back then."

"That was the same time she was playing you both? You turned against your own brother for her, he forgave you but still you wish to keep her safe? I get why Niklaus wants to kill her."

"I don't." Elijah cofessed.

"Elijah, Niklaus has never really had a great family during his human years. He had to endure abuse, both physically and mentally, from his father and his family couldn't do anything. They, you, tried but you couldn't really do a lot so family means a lot to him. He may seem as a monster but he does what he thinks is best for you, his family."

Elijah frowned. "I never realised that."

"That's because you thought he really was a monster... he isn't. He does everything for his family... to be him, as well. That was taken away from him as a boy. Esther really did make him weak, and that while her husband only valued strength. He wasn't going to be strong unless he was himself... that included his werewolf side. She pressed that down... Elijah, he just wants to be himself, he wants to be strong. Is that so bad?"

Elijah laughed humorlessly. "That still doesn't explain why he wants Katerina dead."

"Katerina already died, Elijah. Katerina died when she hung herself in Rose's house in the woods back in the 1400's. Katherine was born. Niklaus wants Katherine dead because he is afraid that he might lose you again."

"To Kate- Katherine." Elijah realised.

Adelaide nodded. "Indeed. He's afraid he'll lose you to Katherine."

"But, he should-"

Adelaide cut him off. "At this moment... no, he doesn't know anything. He already nearly lost you to Katherine, just a short few months ago... of course his urge to kill her is bigger than ever, now. Not only did she take you from him but also from me and in the past few months we have gotten closer again, just as we used to be when we were Human. He's my protective 'brother' again."

"So, it's useless for me to stop him from killing her?"

"Maybe. Maybe not. It's Niklaus we're talking about, who knows what he's planning?"

"True, however if it endagers Katherine or any of the others... I would like to know, maybe he'd tell you?"

"Any of the others? Any of what others?"

"People me or Rebekah are aquinted with over the years..."

Adelaide nods. "You mean the ones that you have shared a bed with?"

"Adelaide-"

"No, Elijah, I have nothing to say to you. I don't know anything about what Niklaus is planning." Adelaide said, walking to the door and opening it for Elijah. "I want you to leave, please."

"Did it mean something to you?" Elijah asked, as he stood in front of her.

"What are you talking about?" Adelaide looked up at him.

"Five days ago, did that mean something to you."

"Elijah-"

"No, don't. Tell me, tell me that it meant something to you! Anything, just please tell me that it did mean something to you."

"It meant the world to me." Adelaide admitted, looking down.

She felt a hand close around her chin and tilled her head. "Adelaide,-"

"Please, don't. I don't want to cry again."

"I'll get you again. I'll show you my love. You'll be mine again and I will show you I love you every day, until eternity." He promised, kissing her cheek.

He left and he saw her leaning against the door.

He stood waiting for Rebekah in front of her house.

"You're home. And how did our Cinderella fare?" Elijah asked with a smile.

"I won't lie. There were complications." Rebekah said. "But I passed your test with flying colors." Rebekah added with a smile.

"If this is what you truly want...it's yours." Elijah said, with a smile as he handed the cure to her.

When she opened it, she saw that the cure was in it.

I guess it's time that I turned into a pumpkin. Thank you, Elijah." And left her brother to go inside.

When Rebekah was inside, Elijah's phone started ringing and it said Rebekah. Puzzled, he looked behind him to the house of Rebekah before picking up.

"Rebekah?"

"Elijah, I think Nik's up to something." He heard Rebekah's panicked voice.

"Where did you go?" He asked.

"I'm still at the prom. Look, don't do anything with the cure until I see you. Something's not right." When Elijah didn't answer, she repeated again. "Elijah? Hello? Elijah, do not take your eyes off that cure."

"I think it might be a little late for that." Elijah said, looking behind him again.

At the Mikealson Mansion, Niklaus found a letter.

Klaus,

I hear Elijah has refused you the cure and in return, you have refused me my freedom.

Shame on you both.

But while you boys sort out your problems, I have one last thing to offer you. I've caught wind that there is a witch in New Orleans named Jane-Anne Deveraux plotting a move against you.

Hunt her down. What she has to say will rattle you so deeply to your core that chasing little old me will be the least of your concerns.

It's been a fun five centuries, Klaus, but I've worn down too many good heels running from you.

Love, and hate,

Katerina.

Part two was the shortest, but that means that the final part will start.

New Orleans, here we come!