lacrosse

au: it's Stiles' first lacrosse game and he invites his boyfriend Derek to come and watch him play.

"Stiles?" Derek questioned, an eyebrow raised.

Stiles immediately spun around, his lacrosse stick in hand, both brows raised innocently, making Derek crack a smile.

"Yeah?" He asked eagerly, mirroring the likes of a little puppy.

"Aren't you supposed to get changed in the locker room? With the team?" Derek asked, glancing down at Stiles body, where he was fully kitted out.

"I know, but... I couldn't wait. It's my first match!" He said excitedly, stepping closer to Derek and roughly taking his hand.

Derek nodded knowingly, a smile on his face. Stiles hadn't shut up about it all week. This must've been at least the 30th time Stiles had said its his first match. Derek didn't mind though. He loved his boyfriend's enthusiasm. It made him happier to see Stiles happy, especially.

"I know." He cooed softly, his lips close to Stiles' ear. "And I'm so, so proud of you, sweetie." He pouted, and Stiles nuzzled into Derek's shoulder.

Derek pulled him into a tight embrace, running his fingers through Stiles' hair before gently planting a kiss on Derek's head.

***

It was a big game for the team tonight and, though he hated to admit it, Derek was worried for Stiles. He'd only heard from Scott of any information on Stiles' ability to do well in lacrosse. This mean he knew Stiles wasn't the best player, but... He could only pray that Stiles didn't humiliate himself. (Only for his own sake, of course.)

Derek sat in the stands, clapping as the team made their way onto the pitch. He was sat next to people he didn't know, but he didn't let it put him off from calling Stiles' name throughout the whole game.

When he saw his boyfriend, getting ready to play and taking his position on the field, he yelled a "Go Stiles!" onto the field, which earned him a quick- but non distracting- wave and smile from Stiles out on the field, additionally putting a large grin on Derek's face too.

As the game progressed, Derek watched intently at the way Stiles' muscular yet slim moved around the pitch. He could just about see, from where he was sat (which was fortunately very near to the front row) the way the tip of Stiles' pink tongue slipped from between his lips with concentration as he focused on his sport at hand. He could see the intricate patterns of Stiles' breath as he breathed into the cold, night time air around him, swirling in the gentle breeze.

Then something incredible happened.

Derek didn't quite see the whole thing- it was almost too hard to believe in order to even watch. Stiles caught the ball. Even he looked at first.

Stiles clutched his lacrosse stick tightly in his hand, his wide eyes staring at the ball which had landed there. He hadn't even meant to catch it. It was, purely, by chance. A few seconds passed before the moment of realisation hit him and he knew he needed to get his head back into the game. He stared at the ball, then the goal- which stood just half a dozen meters away- then he looked to Derek; he was, like the rest of the roaring crowd, on his feet, cheering for Stiles. Stiles quickly spun back to look at the goal again.

Then, with all the power and strength he could muster- it was as if the whole field had gone quiet- he launched the ball through the night sky. As if everyone at the game was holding their breath, more complete silence fell as they waited on the ball to reach the potential destination. That's when it happened. As if hitting play on a TV, the crowd literally went wild as the ball slotted into the net. Wild.

Stiles looked around at the crowd, at his team. That's when the buzzer, signalling time's up, went off. He had scored the winning goal.

Everyone was chorusing cheers, some even yelling his name. The only person he could think about, though, was the one making his way off the stands and onto the field. Derek.

With his eyes shining wide, he approached Stiles, his arms out, ready to embrace.

Stiles half skipped toward Derek, throwing his lacrosse stick down in the process. He ignored the pat on the backs from his team mates, ignored the congratulations from other viewers of the game. In fact, he simply pushed past these people.

"You did it!" Was all Derek could shout over the loud crowd, a huge grin on his face. Stiles smiled back, nothing but pride coming from his gaze at Derek.

He simply nodded, his mouth hanging open in a breathless grin, before throwing his arms around Derek's neck. Without thinking twice about it, Derek smashed his lips against Stiles', pulling him close.

They kissed for God knows how long... It didn't matter. Neither of them could ever have been happier in that moment; the moment Stiles won the winning goal.