Chapter 20 - "Are You Trying To Kill Me Strutting Around Half-Naked?"

Chapter 20 - "Are you trying to kill me strutting around half-naked?"

"Whoa!" Beta Ezra shouts, as he loses balance and sways to the side.

Why, you ask?

Because of my well-aimed blow, of course.

Yeah, I deserve a pat on the back.

"Phoo," I blow my knuckles the way James Bond blows his gun after firing with it, shooting The Beta a victorious smirk.

But just before he could fall completely, he somehow magically regains his equilibrium, and straightens himself up. He puts his hands on his knees, and exhales for a few seconds. He then looks up, his eyebrows like mine, dripping with sweat.

He smirks. "Better,"

My grin drops.

"'Better'?" I exclaim in shock, "I just made 'The Beta', the one who could, 'kill a Wolf in three seconds' fall to the ground—"

"Almost," He interrupts,

"—and all you can say is, 'Better'?!" I holler, glaring at him.

"Okay. That was kinda good," He admits begrudgingly, dusting his palms.

"That's more like it," I grin, and plop down on the mat-covered floor with a sigh.

Seneca hadn't been able to join us today, because of the construction work going on, on the West border. She's gone to supervise it, and to make sure there isn't any adulteration in the building materials they're using.

"Ready for the party?" Beta Ezra asks as he sits down as well. This makes me look at him in surprise because he's always the one who leaves as soon as the clock strikes 7:00.

"You want the truth, or what I've been telling everyone?" I question dejectedly, looking down at my hands.

"Just tell the truth," He answers with irritation evident in his accented voice.

"No," I admit, not looking up.

"Look, I'm not good with this pep talk thing, okay? The only thing I can tell is, no matter what, it's you who's her Mate. And it's you who's gonna be under the spotlight for the rest of your life. So, the sooner you learn to accept it, the better."

"I know," I look up, and find him fingering the bracelet in his right hand. I examine it closer to find some sort of swirly design, which looks vaguely like the ancient language of The Goddess.

He finally looks up as well, meeting my eyes with another grin, "Got a tux?"

❈ ❈ ❈

"What's taking you so long?" Seneca muffled voice asks, as she knocks on the door, making me jump.

"A minute!" I call, trying to pull the sweater away.