Chapter 17

After a 100 years, Elijah returned to New Orleans after Katherine told him about a witch plotting a move against his brother Niklaus. 

He was in a bar called Rousseau's, talking to a blonde bartender called Camille. 

"So what brings you to the Big Easy?" Camille asked. 

"I used to live her." Was Elijah's response. 

"Really, when?" 

"Oh, it feels like a hundred years ago." Was his response with a hidden smirk on his face. 

"I just moved here myself. What brought you back?" 

"Well, my brother's here somewhere. I'm afraid he might have got himself into a bit of a bind." Elijah explained. 

"You say that like it's a common occurrence." Camille observed. 

"Well ... he's complicated. Defiant, ill-mannered, and a little temperamental. See, we don't share the same father. Of course that never bothered me, but my brother resents it deeply. Never felt like he belongs. All told, he has a long history of getting himself into trouble." Elijah explained Niklaus. He thought back to what Adelaide told him, about what goes around in his head. 

"And I'm guessing you have a long history of getting him out of it." Camille, the bartender, asked. Elijah just nodded. "What kind of bind is your brother in?" 

"He believes there are people in this town that are conspiring against him." Elijah explained as if it was the most normal thing. Thing is, for him it is one of the most normal things. It wouldn't be the first time that there are witches conspiring to kill Klaus and his other siblings along with himself. 

"Wow. Narcissistic and paranoid." She shook her head and when Elijah looked at her with interest, she explained herself. "Sorry. Bartender with a grad degree in psychology. Total cliché."

"Listen, Camille, I'm looking for someone who might shed some light on his current predicament. She works here, Jane-Anne Deveraux. Any idea where I might find her?" Elijah asked her after he read her nameplate. 

"No. But I know someone who might." Camille responded. 

Sabine was guiding tourist through the streets of New Orleans, the French quarter to be exact. "Welcome to New Orleans, and the crown jewel of the Crescent city, the French Quarter. Jazz and jambalaya, romance, poetry, not to mention the things that go bump in the night. Monsters that feed off human blood, vengeful spirits of the dead, and my personal favorite, the witches. Here we have the voodoo shop, Jardin Gris. Go on, browse for a hex." 

The tourist entered the shop while Sabine remained outside. "Are you going to continue following me, Elijah, or do you wanna talk?" She asked as she stepped a bit closer to him. 

"You know who I am." Elijah concluded. 

"Original vampire, always wears a suit." Sabine summed up, making Elijah crack a smile. "You and your family are famous amongst the witches, especially with your... brother back in town."

"Well, Niklaus is here because he learned that a witch was conspiring against him. Someone by the name of Jane-Anne Deveraux." Elijah explained while still asking for Jane-Anne. 

"Well, if he's looking for Jane Anne, he's a little late." 

"Are you telling me she's dead?" 

"Come on, her sister Sophie's gonna want to talk to you." 

Sabine led Elijah to a quiet and dark spot to see a body laying in the middle of the street with Witches surrounding it. To say Elijah is shocked, is an understatement if not the understatment of the year. 

"That's Jane-Anne? Killed in public for anyone to find..." Disgust was hidden in his voice but it was still there. 

"Only people that come around here are the witches. Now her sister has come to take her body. Her spirit can't rest until it's been properly interred in the cemetery." Sabine explained to Elijah. 

"Please tell me that my brother had nothing to do with this." Elijah prayed.

"No. Jane-Anne died because she got caught doing magic." Sabine assured him. 

"What do you mean; she got caught doing magic?" Elijah asked. 

Sabine wanted to answer but a loud whistle stopped her. 

"You wanna know who killed Jane-Anne? You're about to get your first glimpse of Marcel in action." Sabine nodded in the way of where some Vampires were coming from. 

"The vampire Marcel?" Elijah asked shocked. He truly believed Marcellus to be dead. 

"Things have changed since your family left town." Sabine nodded at the Vampires again, who had gotten closer to the mourning Witches. "Marcel has changed."

"I'm asking you, stay hidden. If Marcel finds out that a witch lured the Originals back into town, my people will be slaughtered." Sabine begged. 

Elijah nodded before speeding to a balcony so he stayed hidden. 

"Well, well, well, what have we here?" Elijah heard Marcel ask. "I gotta tell you Soph, this street corner is not proving the luckiest spot for your family tonight. Not half an hour ago, we had to teach your sister a little lesson." 

Sophie Deveraux, Jane-Anne's sister, responded but didn't stand up. "We're putting her to rest Marcel. Leave us alone."

"I never said you could move the body. Matter of fact, I left her here for a reason: send a message. If anybody is thinking of joining some kind of rebellion, my rules state that witches can't practice magic in the Quarter and yet a little birdy informed me that Jane-Anne was cooking up something magically delicious." Marcel said. "Oh, yeah. While I have you, quick Q&A. My old friend – the hybrid, Klaus – he just happened to show up out of the blue asking for, of all people, Jane-Anne. Any idea why?" 

"I don't know. Witches don't get involved in vampire business." 

"Hmm. That would be pretty stupid, that's for sure. Tell you what, go back to the restaurant, cook up some of that famous gumbo, and keep those tourists happy." Marcel ordered Sophie before turning to the vampires to order them. "Take the body." 

"What? No! Stop! Stop! Marcel!" Sophie panicked. 

"I'm gonna hold on to your sister's body in case maybe you remember why Klaus is here." 

"Marcel please. Her body won't be at peace." Sophie begged. 

"Not my problem." Marcel sang, not knowing Elijah still stood on the balcony and had witnessed the whole thing.