63

Tori

The Avengers sit in the living room, chatting about random things. I have told them what happened in Fury's office and why I was so angry. They all nod, feeling sympathy for me. Lunch has already been eaten and we are back in our spots.
I sit in between Steve and Tony, Steve to my left and my brother to my right, on a sofa. Bruce, Clint, and Natasha sit across from us in that left to right order.
Steve and I are holding hands, but hiding them between our thighs. We glance at each other every once and a while, mouthing if we are okay. We always nod, then give our attention back to everyone else.
"So, this is going to be our last time together for a while," Natasha sighs, looking at her feet.
Everyone nods sadly, not saying a word.
"Fury is just trying to be a jerk," Clint says. "I mean, I agree with Tori. We've all had breaks. We like doing what we do, and we don't want to stop. He can't see that."
"He probably saw that news story last night," I mutter.
"What?" everyone asks in unison.
"He probably thinks that I'm getting distracted and wants to stop me. Plus, I showed the entire world my powers when he hasn't even seen them until today."
"She has a point," Tony says.
Steve looks at the floor, his eyes sad. I use my right hand to cup his face, forcing him to look at me.
"Don't beat yourself up for anything," I whisper. "Fury is just against me."
Steve doesn't say anything, he just looks off to the side.
"Don't make me kiss you in front of everyone." I warn, smirking.
"I won't beat myself up anymore," he abruptly says.
I laugh and release him. The others stare at us, trying to conceal their grins. I roll my eyes and force them to start conversation.
"I'm just hoping that he isn't lying about being away for only two weeks," Steve says.
"It'll probably end up being a month," Bruce says.
I keep my mouth shut, taking in everything they have said.
"Let's hope not," Tony mumbles.
"Right now, I'm just hoping that Fury has the antidote." I say.
"Why?" Bruce asks.
"The little incident," I say, referring to what happened earlier.
"You saved lives in the fire, Tori." Steve says.
"I-I don't want the power," I tell him. "After what happened today, I'm scared of what might happen."
     "Something great might happen," Steve says, squeezing my hand reassuringly. "Something beautiful."

•••

I lay next to Steve, looking into the darkness. He holds me close to him, using both arms. His chin touches my forehead and my hands are on his chest.
     "I wish that I didn't have to leave," Steve whispers to me.
     "I wish that I could go with you," I tell him.
     "But we have to do what we are told," Steve says. "Even if we don't want to."
     "I know," I mumble. "I just want to be with you."
     "I want to be with you too, but we can't."
     "I just want to hear your voice while you're gone, that's the least I can ask for."
     "I'll try to get ahold of a phone," he says. "I'll try as hard as I can."
     "Thank you,"
     We are silent for a moment, thinking of what to say.
     "What did you mean by 'something beautiful' earlier?" I ask.
     "Ice can do many things," Steve says. "It can destroy fire, cool things down, be crafted. It does a lot. Like ice sculptures. They are crafted into a masterpiece."
     I nod, generating ideas. Steve kisses my forehead.
     "And I'll remember our promise," he whispers, brushing a strand of hair behind my ear.
     "I will too,"
     "I love you,"
     I smile. "I love you too."