Chapter 20

Author's note: This chapter has mature content. If you'd rather not read, please skip the section between the 3 asterisk signs (***).

Enjoy!

_______________________________________________________________

"Well?" Ethan raised his eyebrows, waiting for Dana to tell him what the detective had said.

"They couldn't get him." She said dejectedly. "I am very worried. He will retaliate. He knows people. Hell! His brothers are into smuggling drugs and god knows what. He will know how to get back to me for this."

Ethan watched the desperation take over her. He crouched in front of her and held her hands in his. "Worrying about it is not going to get you anywhere, okay? I will exhaust each and every option to make sure this guy gets locked up for good."

Even though he was consoling her, Ethan could feel the worry and dread rise within him.

"I just wish things were different. So we could concentrate on the present...on us. You know?" She bit her bottom lip and stared at him for a second before asking, "why are you doing this?" He shot her a confused look. "Why are you being so nice? Why are you helping me out like this? It would be so easy for you to walk away," she said with a nervous chuckle.

"Because I like you, Dana. I think I've made that a little more than obvious. Don't you think?"

"Why?"

Ethan laughed under his breath. "All I know is that you're different, Dana. You're are different than the rest of them. I like you because you are not afraid of being you. Because you are the first decent woman I've met who's smart and sexy, stupid and funny at the same time."

She cocked her head to the side. "Stupid? What kind of compliment is that?"

"That's the only thing you heard?" he asked, quirking his brow. "Yeah, actually the truth is that you're quite silly. Can't argue there." He joked, shrugging his shoulders.

She punched his shoulder and got up from the couch. "Where is my top?" She had suddenly remembered that she was still in her bra.

"Why do you need clothes?"

She turned around and gave him a blank look.

"No, seriously. You look sexy this way." He reasoned.

She faced him completely with her hands on her hips. "Oh yeah?"

"Ohhh yeaaah"

She burst out laughing at the funny, exaggerated face he made. "Who's being silly now?" She commented, turning away from him and grabbing her top from the floor. With every passing second though, the worry seemed to hit her two fold. "This is really bad." Rubbing her hands on her face, she sat down on the floor with her elbows resting on her knees. "I'm scared, Ethan."

All signs of amusement had left him as he watched her demeanor change. He sat down beside her quietly. A second later he said, "the only way out is through. I wish I could make it all better. Please know that I'll try my best. You have me and by extension everything I have. It's going to be okay."

He rubbed his hands on her arms to soothe her. She leaned into him and rested her head on his chest. The silence was comforting so they didn't say anything.

The sudden ringing of Ethan's intercom drew their attention. They shared a look before Ethan got up to answer it. As he did so, Dana threw her top on while keeping her eyes focused in the direction where Ethan went.

"Ethan, it's me, Detective Ross. I'm here with a couple of other agents. May we come back up?"

"Yes, of course." Ethan responded, letting them upstairs.