64

Steve

I peel my eyes open. The day I have dreaded has come, when I have to leave Tori. I hold her in my arms, not wanting to let go. If I could just be here with her for the rest of time, I would do anything. I bury my face in her hair, blocking the vicious sun from my eyes.
I hear Tori take a deep breath, and her eyes flutter open. She looks up at me, smiling.
"Good morning," she whispers.
"Good morning," I say.
She kisses my jaw, not being able to reach any higher. I laugh softly and kiss her forehead.
     "Do you know when you're leaving?" Tori asks.
     "Soon," I say.
     "Then let's get up,"
     We both get up and leave her bedroom. We step into the kitchen, seeing Tony pouring a cup of coffee.
     "Morning, sleeping beauties," Tony greets.
     "Morning, Tony," Tori and I say.
     "Capsicle, you need to become Spangles by at least 7:00."
     "Fine," I groan.
     I glance at the clock: 6:32. Tori yawns and gets two cups from the cupboard. She fills them both with coffee and hands me one.
      "How do you know that I like my coffee without anything in it?" I ask her.
      "I've seen you get coffee in the morning before," she says, putting sugar in hers.
     I take a mental note of how much she puts into the drink. I take a sip of my coffee and watch the clock.
     "Hey," Tori says to me, grabbing my attention.
     "Yes?" I ask, looking at her.
     "You seem really nervous, why?"
     "I just don't know what to expect. I don't know if we're fighting H.Y.D.R.A. or something new."
     "I guess you'll find out," she sadly laughs.
     "I truly wish that we could be with each other, one way or another." I sigh.
     "Me too,"
     "I just don't want anything to happen while I'm gone,"
     "I don't want you to get hurt," she says. "At least your lip is better."
     I quickly swallow my coffee and run my finger along my bottom lip. I completely forgot about the busted lip. Sure enough, I feel the small cut.
     "You forgot about it," Tori giggles.
     "Yes, yes I did." I grin.
     "Capsicle," Tony shouts from the hallway. "Keep an eye on the clock."
     I snap my head to look at the hanging clock: 6:51. I finish the last of my coffee and set it in the dishwasher.
     "I'll be right back," I tell Tori.
     "Okay," she says, taking another sip of her drink.
     I go to the elevator and press the button that goes to my floor. The doors open and I rush to my bedroom. I put on my uniform, helmet and all. I run back to the elevator and press the correct button.
     I step out of the elevator when it opens to the correct floor. I see all of the Avengers except Tori and Bruce in their uniforms. Tori wears a long sleeve knee length black dress with a red and green plaid scarf. Her long brunette hair flows perfectly down her back. Her black combat boots click on the wooden floor as she walks toward me.
     "Let's go," Tony says.

•••

     Everyone stands in front of the quinjet. Tori is saying her goodbyes, now hugging Tony.
     "Don't let Bruce become the 'other guy', okay?" Tony tells her.
     "I won't," she giggles, hugging him one last time. 
     Tori leaves her brother's arms and comes to me. I open my mouth to say something, but she quickly presses her lips to mine, taking my face in her hands. I put my hands on her hips and kiss back. Her hands move to my neck, desperately wanting to peek into my hair that is underneath my helmet. I savor every moment of it, not knowing how long it will be when I feel her soft lips again.
We only pull away when we are in desperate need of air. I take her in an embrace and bury my face into her hair. I hear her trying to swallow back tears, as I am. I stroke her hair and coo comforting things to her.
"Hurry up, Rogers." Fury groans.
Tori and I pull away. I peck her lips and give her one last quick embrace.
"I love you," Tori says.
"I love you too," I smile.
I am almost dragged into the quinjet by Tony, but I reluctantly walk away. Tori wipes tears off her cheeks as she watches me go. I feel tears forming in my eyes, but I don't let any escape. I wave to her one last time before the quinjet starts to fly.
I already feel like something is missing, part of my life has vanished, as we take flight. I miss Victoria already, and I will for the entire mission.