Chapter 9

Chapter 9

Oliver's POV

I grinned easily, welcoming, as Van as he came down the stairs to meet me in the front foyer. He grinned back, waving a hand in greeting, but there was a smoothness to his moves, a look in his eye that had me wary. 

I could feel it instantly, the tingle of awareness at the back of my neck. Maybe it was the way his eyes looked me up and down slowly, as if he was searching for something. Maybe it was the way his gaze lingered for too long on the phone in my hand, as if he wanted to know what was on it. It was definitely the way his brows twitched for a moment, as if he wanted to frown or purse his lips in thought, before the smile returned, almost as if he was reminding himself. I didn't like the forced cheer. 

My gut twisted, but I made sure to keep my breathing even. I forcefully relaxed my body further, lowering my shoulders before they could rise defensively. 

Van was up to something. I didn't know what, exactly. But the attention was weird and I knew I was probably being paranoid, but I trusted my instincts. Even logically speaking, it wouldn't be weird for him to be cautious around me. 

Whatever game Van wanted to play, I wasn't going to let him win. 

Van was definitely up to something. His eyes raked me up and down, and the thoughtful, searching look he gave me when I pretended to be distracted by Mr. Reaper's goodbye greetings made me acutely aware of him. If I could have, I would have let out a long sigh, my hackles falling. This was going to be annoying.

He was watching me far too closely. I knew Van was the type to go all-in when he was focused, and I was his object of focus. From the corner of my eye, I saw his head repeatedly turning towards me every time I moved to scratch my arm or change my posture, as if he was trying to keep tabs on my every little gesture. It was clear he was analyzing my every move, from the smile on my face as I thanked Mr. Reaper for dinner and shook his hand, to the way I perfunctorily waved Axel bye. 

Van's attention had me on edge, but I knew it wasn't as dangerous as I feared. Van wasn't a part of a drug ring. He wasn't in a gang, he didn't have a reason to attack me. It was probably just his curiosity driving him toward me. 

But the longer he watched me, the more I became aware of the flashing warning lights in my head. 

If this was a movie, I'd be the criminal hiding in the cast, the imposter, and he was the rookie detective that would catch me in the end. 

This wasn't my end. 

The school year was just starting. Whatever he may want or have against me, I wouldn't let that interfere with my life. I didn't even know what he wanted—I didn't know what Axel wanted with me either, for that matter, but at least Axel was so straightforward I couldn't even be scared. 

"Oliver, make sure to come again soon," Mr. Reaper dismissed me with a nod, and I nodded back with a smile, stepping away. He turned to Van instantly, speaking in a low tone I couldn't overhear. 

I idly wondered what was going on, but Mr. Reaper's involvement told me it wasn't anything I had to worry about. Maybe a family member died? I was glad I wasn't involved. 

As Van spoke to Mr. Reaper, I pretended to scroll on my phone, keeping him in my peripherals. He finished with Mr. Reaper quickly and soon moved over to Axel, and then I started paying more attention.