XXVII

"Can I just say how much I love your parents?" Lauren asked rhetorically into her ear. Sofia and Sebastian had just vacated the room after speaking to her for a solid twenty minutes or so. "They're fucking amazing."

"It's so weird that you just called them that," Camila said, once again immersed in the same daze from earlier. "My head is still spinning."

"Yeah, that was kind of intense," Lauren said to Camila when they were left alone in the living room. Sofia was tending to something in the kitchen, and Sebastian had gone to the bathroom momentarily.

"Yeah, I know," Camila nodded and leaned into Lauren's side for perhaps the first time since they'd sat down. She knew she had their acceptance, but showing that kind of affection in front of them still felt a little odd. And she missed her embrace already.

"What are you thinking, Camzi?" Lauren caressed her face and gazed at her lovingly. She knew she was censoring herself in front of them for whatever reason, and she wanted to be let into all of her cryptic thoughts.

"I really don't even know what to think of it at all," Camila expressed as she slumped against her shoulder. "I mean, what am I supposed to say to something like that? Of the hundreds of things I was thinking it could be, that never once crossed my mind. It's insane."

"It's pretty unexpected. But while she was taking that trip down memory lane, it kind of came to me. I considered the possibility of it for a minute, but I just thought I was being ridiculous," Lauren shared with her some of her own insight while sitting through the whole fiasco.

"On one hand, I'm kind of relieved to find out who my real parents are - even though I wasn't really looking... But on the other hand, I'm like what the hell, because now I know this huge secret that I'm not supposed to know, and I have to keep it from my mom and dad - or, my adoptive mom and dad - or whatever," Camila expressed her conflicting thoughts and Lauren could only imagine the mess in her mind.

"What do you think will happen if you tell them? Or if they figure out that you know?" Lauren posed an outlet for a way to organize her thoughts.

"I don't know. I'm scared to find out. What if when we're able to get our house back, they kick them out? Or what if my dad stops supporting them? I don't want anything bad to happen to them. Or even worse, I don't want to run into any legal problems. There's probably something against finding a loophole like that. What if they get in trouble with child services for staying in contact with me or my mom and dad?" Camila listed the possibilities haphazardly and worried herself.

"Babe," Lauren scooted a little closer and angled herself towards her. "I doubt that any of that will happen, but even if it could, it can be avoided. Just keep it to yourself, like they did. It's not like you've had the overwhelming desire to talk about it before, so it won't be suspicious if you don't bring it up."

"I know, Laur... But-" Camila began to divulge some more dreadful theories, but Lauren tried to stop it before it began.

"And even if that does happen, you still have me. I'm sure they're more than welcome to stay at our house for as long as they need if your dad wants to pull something like that. It'll be fine, babe," Lauren promised and picked up her hand, kissing the back of it before brushing over it with her thumb.

"I just hope you're right. I don't even want to think about it anymore. It's making my head hurt," Camila grumbled and sought comfort in her girlfriend's soft body.

"Relax your mind," Lauren brought her hand to rest over Camila's forehead, her means of calming all of her frantic overthinking. Following the way she kept her hand there for a few seconds, she'd just resorted to playing with her hair when they were both summoned.