Chapter 18

After that whole witch/Marcel bussiness, Elijah decided to call Rebekah, who had taken Adelaide in. Adelaide had said that the mansion she lived in was getting too big and Rebekah lost her roommate Elena after the Salvatore brothers gave her her humanity back and was getting lonely.

"You mean to tell me, after all these years, Marcel is alive and well?" Rebekah asked Elijah.

"Who's Marcel?" He heard Adelaide ask in the background. He smiled at her voice.

"Quite. Our brother seems to have wandered into a war zone. And I haven't been able to find him. Marcel, who Klaus sired and brought up beneath his own wing, now rules a menagerie of savage vampires running wild, killing in public for any human to come upon. Witches are held in subjugation. I doubt Niklaus had any idea what he was walking into."

"Sorry, what was that? I stopped paying attention at 'our brother'." Rebekah said.

"Rebekah!" Both him and Adelaide said.

"Our hateful, traitorous bastard of a brother, who's negated any sympathy I once had for him by his repeated efforts to ensure neither you nor I know happiness outside of his own selfish universe." Rebekah said.

"Always and forever, Rebekah, that is what we once swore to each other." Elijah reminded his sister.

"Consider this me calling take-backs." Rebekah said.

Elijah heard Adelaide warn his sister. "Rebekah..."

"Well, you've called take-backs dozens of times over the centuries and yet when our father found us and chased us from this very city..."

"I may be old, Elijah, but I'm hardly senile. I know very well I stuck with Klaus, and not three years later he stuck a silver dagger in my chest and sent me into a magical slumber for ninety years. Do you know why? Because I had the audacity to try and live my life on my own without him."

"Rebekah-" He heard Adelaide begin but Elijah cut her off.

"Enough. I believe our brother's in trouble, so what ever is going on between Marcel and the witches, it's dire enough that they'd risk bringing an Original back to town. The witches have lured him here, I'd like to know why."

With that he hung up the phone as he heard a heartbeat speeding up out of fear. He walked to the alley and saw the sister of Jane-Anne, Sophie, with two of Marcel's nightwalkers.

When one sped to the witch and grabbed her, Elijah sped to the vampire and went away with him. He pulled the other Vampire's heart out. The second vampire looked up and then turned around to attack Sophie, but before he reached her, he was also grabbed by a dark shadow, Elijah. The vampire got thrown at the wall, a dagger stuck in his chest. Elijah stood near Sophie, looking at the dead vampire.

"I'm Elijah, you heard of me?" He asked, cleaning his hands.

Sophie nodded vehemently. "Yes."

He turned to Sophie, instead of the Vampire. "So, why don't you tell me what business your family has with my brother?"

Sophie led Elijah to the cemetery, where he met Hayley, the pregnant Werewolf. The Werewolf carrying his brother's child. For just one moment, he wished he could be his brother- being able to get some girl, preferably Adelaide, pregnant with his child- but he quickly pushed those thoughts away. He was happy for his brother and Adelaide promised he could make it up to her when they met again. She wouldn't run from him anymore.

Later that evening, he left Hayley at the cemetery with the witches and looked up his brother who was standing on a balcony with Marcel. He waited until Marcel was gone before he joined his brother.

"Evening, Elijah." Niklaus said without looking at him.

"Niklaus." Elijah responded.

"What an entirely unwelcome surprise." Niklaus shot at Elijah.

"And what an entirely unsurprising welcome. Come with me." Elijah shot back.

"I'm not going anywhere, not until I find out who is conspiring against me."

"I believe I just found that out for you."

Elijah led Niklaus to the cemetery, to the girl carrying his child. As Elijah thought, his brother didn't believe it at first. He even went as far to order him to kill Hayley and her baby.

Of course, Elijah wouldn't be Elijah if he wouldn't try to convince Niklaus. Of course in turn, Niklaus wouldn't be Niklaus if he wouldn't fight his older brother. Niklaus wanted power again, he wanted his city back and Elijah tried to convince him that family is power but of course, Niklaus wouldn't listen to Elijah.

Elijah returned to the cemetery, after he was listening in on them. Agnes, one of the elders, wanted to know how they were going to control an original. If they could do it.

"She can't. I'm not entirely certain that I can, either. But now that your coven has drawn his ire, I have a question: What prevents my brother from murdering you instead of cooperating?" Elijah asked with a small frown.

"Ow!" Hayley exclaimed after Sophie had pricked her palm with a needle. Elijah looked at her and saw a drop of blood on the exact same spot where Sophie pricked. "What the hell!?"

"The spell my sister performed, the one that got her killed? It didn't just confirm the pregnancy. It linked me to Hayley. So anything that happens to me, happens to her, which means her life is in my hands. Klaus may not care about his own child, but it's very clear what it already means to you. If I have to hurt Hayley - or worse - to ensure that I have your attention, I will."

"You would dare an Original?" Elijah asked slightly amused.

"I have nothing to lose." Sophie said, making the grin on Elijah's face disappear. "You have until midnight to get Klaus to change his mind."

Yet again, Elijah called Rebekah, this time with Adelaide next to her.

"He's willing to give up everything." Elijah told the two Vampires.

"Come on, Elijah, does that really surprise you?" Rebekah asked.

"I already see it. He's spiralling. He's lashing out in blind rage. You know, the last time I saw him like this it lasted 200 years."

"Then leave him to his temper tantrum and come home. With any luck this misadventure will allow us a reprieve from all of his insanity."

"No, Elijah, don't give him up. Not yet." Adelaide pleaded.

"He was so close. When he heard the baby's heartbeat, I could see it in his eyes. He... he wanted... he could almost taste happiness. And now his temper has destroyed it. Even if I was to return him to sanity, he just lost Marcel's trust. So, I'm almost out of time to get the girl." Elijah informed them.

"Get her? Have you lost her mind? Are we running an orphanage now?" Rebekah asked.

Adelaide was losing her patience, Elijah could sense it. "Rebekah." She warned.

"Say what you will about Niklaus, but on my life I'm not letting anything happen to that baby."

"Thank God! Someone still is in their right minds!" Adelaide exclaimed.

Elijah chuckled. "I have to go, but I'll see you later."

A surprise for you because this story has officially reached 1k readers. I know it may not sound a lot but it's the most readers I have had on Wattpad. 

Thank you so much!