Chapter 21 - The Kissing Challenge

∞ᴪ∞

Chapter 21 – The Kissing Challenge

My morning couldn’t have been more perfect as Leon met me on the porch of Emma’s house with a captivating smile that had me gasping and pinching myself.

Nothing could ruin this day. That was what I thought. Never have I imagined that fate will do everything in its power to prove me wrong.

He wore a grayish-blue jacket over a beige turtle neck pullover, paired with faded blue jeans with such refinement despite the beanie and the glasses and the fake braces; he could have been Apollo’s estranged younger brother for all I knew.

My mouth fell open as I half-expected the clear blue sky to thunder and split with a blinding light that would hover on his stature, accompanied with a booming glorious voice to call him to his home in Mount Olympus. Or at least a green light could flash down on him from an unidentified flying object claiming that he must return to Planet Charming as their rightful king.

The way he stood made my knees wobble as I trudged ineptly to him.

He then took my hand in his and towed me where his “inconspicuous” car waited and opened the door for me.

“Can’t we just walk to school? Or ride a bus? You know like ordinary people,” I said as I practically hauled myself on the sleek chocolate brown leather seat and fumbled with the seatbelt while eyeing furtively on the gleaming digital gauges, the computerized sound system and the GPS jutting from the leather swathed dashboard.

He gave out a light chuckle that made my chest thud ferociously.

“Normal people drive cars to school,” said he as the engine droned smoothly before he stepped on the gas pedal. I was not even sure if it had one.

“Normal people drive normal cars,” I retorted with a hint of panic as we sped to the highway and all I could see was a blur of gray and green.

“As I’ve said, it’s an outdated model. No one would bother to look closely. I’m sure the Ferraris would take the spotlight,” he grinned as he enveloped my hand in one of his while the other steered with utter effortlessness.

I made a mental note to count how many Ferraris I’ve seen in my entire life and was exasperated when I remembered a few, but not in school. Definitely not. Anyhow, I let the matter drop due to the apprehension that slithered its way through me.

It didn’t take five minutes before the car swerved into the school parking lot with not much of a sound then skidded stealthily to a halt at the rearmost vacant spot.

Still, I could see a dozen or more pair of eyes trailing at us, probably, squinting at the heavily tinted windows to see whoever drove that blue Audi TT-S.

“See?” Leon glanced at me with reassuring smile, then got out of the car in one fluid motion in a very movie star way. Go figure.

Before I could stop gawking and fumbling with my seat belt yet again, he opened the door for me. He creased the gap between his brows thoughtfully.

“Let me get that,” his melodious voice twitched my chest into a hustle, his calm breathing audible as he leaned down to unbuckle me from the seat. It didn’t take him long enough.

Keeping my eyes straight on the dashboard, I froze as Leon paused to gaze at me and I felt my breathing hasten to a throttle. Feeling the compulsion to stare again, my face inched to his as my eyes closed involuntarily waiting for some miraculous phenomenon to take place. If my lips puckered in anticipation, I fervently reject to recall or at least admit.